Posted: Jan 27, 2018
DAVIS, Calif. – Santa Clara women's tennis dropped its dual match opener to UC Davis, 5-2, at the Marya Welch Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. The Broncos picked up its two points on singles wins by junior Madison Clarke and senior Zeina El Tawil.
"It was a tough first match but I'm proud of the team as they competed well," said Broncos head coach Ben Cabell. "UC Davis is a good team having beaten a WCC school in Portland earlier."
The Broncos (0-1) dropped the doubles point losing on courts three and two before newcomers Maddie Pothoff and Katya Tabachnik got the 7-6 win on court one.
In singles play, Clarke picked up the first point of the day for the Broncos, beating Kristy Jorgensen in straight sets 7-5, 6-1 on court one. Playing on court three, El Tawil needed three sets 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 against Lani-Rae Green to earn the second point for the Broncos.
"Madison had a nice win today anchoring the number one spot. She's a competitive player and has emerged as a leader on the court. The same can be said for Zeina," said Cabell.
UC Davis improved its record to 3-0 on the season.
The Broncos travel to Cal on Saturday, Feb. 3 before its dual match home opener on Sunday, Feb. 4 against CSUN.
UC Davis 5, Santa Clara 2
January 23, 2018 | Marya Welch Tennis Center (Davis, Calif.)
UC Davis wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1. Madison Clarke (SCU) def. Jorgensen,Kristy (UCD) 7-5, 6-1
2. Breisacher,Kristina (UCD) def. Maddie Pothoff (SCU) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Zeina El Tawil (SCU) def. Green,Lani-Rae (UCD) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
4. Pradeep,Nikita (UCD) def. Elvena Gevargiz (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Tsukamoto,Sara (UCD) def. Delaney Nothaft (SCU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Ebbe,Isabella von (UCD) def. Caitlyn Frankel (SCU) 6-3, 7-6 (4-0)
Order of finish: 5,1,4,6*,3,2
* - clinched victory