SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Santa Clara women's tennis claimed a 4-1 victory over the BYU Cougars on Friday afternoon as sophomore Madison Clarke clinched the victory with her seventh straight singles win on court one. The Broncos also won the doubles point and picked up singles victories on courts three and five to secure the win.
Santa Clara (8-11, 3-5 WCC) earned a tightly contested doubles point over BYU (7-12, 2-5 WCC) with wins on courts one and three. Senior Daniella Silva and Clarke picked up a 6-4 win on court one to give the Broncos the lead. BYU won on court two but juniors Zeina El Tawil and Giannina Ong earned a 7-6 victory on court three to secure the point.
"I was really proud of them," head coach Ben Cabell said. "BYU is a really good team and I'm just proud of everybody. Giannina and Zeina won on a tiebreaker to give us the doubles point. So, it was really close but I was really proud of the way they competed."
Senior Nabila Farah, in her final weekend playing at Degheri Tennis Center, gave SCU a 2-0 lead as she won 6-1, 6-2 on court three over Kate Cusick. Freshman Caitlyn Frankel then won 6-3, 6-4 on court five against Taylah Beckman to put SCU ahead 3-0. BYU won on court two just moments before Clarke won her seventh straight match to clinch the win. She defeated Savannah Ware-Avina on court one by a score of 4-6, 6-4, 6-0. Clarke improved her dual match record to 13-1 (7-1 on court one, 6-0 on court two) on the year.
"Caitlyn (Frankel) stepped up with a huge win today on court five and Nabila (Farah) also stepped up to get us a quick singles win," Cabell said. "Madison (Clarke), as usual was awesome. She's been the second-best player in the West Coast Conference this year behind Pepperdine's No. 1. I'm proud of what she's doing and what she's turned herself into. Again, I'm proud of everybody today."
The Broncos play their final match at home on Saturday at 12 p.m. PT against San Diego. Senior Day festivities will begin right before the match starts at noon.
PARKING: On Friday, parking on campus will be subject to normal daily rates or restrictions, including the main structure, located on Palm Drive. During the weekend, campus parking facilities are free (except for permit required locations). Click here for a campus map and parking restrictions.
SCU 4, BYU 1
Friday, April 21 | Santa Clara, Calif. (Degheri Tennis Center)
Singles – Order of finish (3,5,2,1)
1. Madison Clarke (SCU) def. Savannah Ware-Avina (BYU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
2. Natella Nabieva (BYU) def. Daniella Silva (SCU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Nabila Farah (SCU) def. Kate Cusick (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Zeina El Tawil (SCU) vs. Samantha Smith (BYU) 3-6, 6-1, 4-4, unfinished
5. Caitlyn Frankel (SCU) def. Taylah Beckman (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Giannina Ong (SCU) vs. Demi Perkinson (BYU) 6-1, 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
Doubles – Order of finish (1,2,3)
1. Madison Clarke/Daniella Silva (SCU) def. Natella Nabieva/Savannah Ware-Avina (BYU) 6-4
2. Kate Cusick/Taylah Beckman (BYU) def. Nabila Farah/Caitlyn Frankel (SCU) 7-5
3. Zeina El Tawil/Giannina Ong (SCU) def. Demi Perkinson/Samantha Smith (BYU) 7-6