SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Santa Clara women's tennis defeated the Drexel Dragons by a score of 4-1 on Wednesday afternoon at Degheri Tennis Center.
"It was nice to be back home," head coach Ben Cabell said. "I'm really proud of the team and how they bounced back. They played well last weekend but we came up short so I was happy with them and how they competed really well today."
Santa Clara (5-7, 0-2 WCC) made quick work of the doubles point against Drexel (13-5, 1-0 CAA). Senior Daniella Silva and sophomore Madison Clarke won their fifth straight doubles match on court one by a score of 6-1. Senior Nabila Farah and freshman Caitlyn Frankel picked up a 6-3 win on court two to clinch the point for the Broncos.
In singles action, Clarke was the first finisher with her 6-2, 6-1 win over Honami Yazawa on court one. Clarke is now 9-1 in dual match play on the season. Junior Zeina El Tawil then earned a 6-0, 6-2 victory on court four. Frankel clinched the win for SCU with her 7-6, 6-2 victory on court five.
"I'm proud of the girls, they've fought hard all year," Cabell said. "I thought they played smart and today Caitlyn Frankel stepped up and clinched the match which was awesome. I'm really proud of her. I think it sets us up in a good place heading into our two conference matches this weekend."
The Broncos resume WCC action against Pacific on Friday at 12 p.m. PT and St. Mary's (CA) on Saturday at 11 a.m. Both matches will take place at Degheri Tennis Center.
SCU 4, Drexel 1
March 29, 2017 | Degheri Tennis Center (Santa Clara, Calif.)
(1) Clarke/Silva (SCU) def. Providence/Rodriguez (DRE) – 6-1
(2) Farah/Frankel (SCU) def. Benhadi/Bunch (DRE) – 6-3
(3) El Tawil/Ong (SCU) vs. Winkler/Yazawa (DRE) – 4-4, unfinished
SCU wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2*
(1) Madison Clarke (SCU) def. Honami Yazawa (DRE) – 6-2, 6-1
(2) Daniella Silva (SCU) vs. Kendra Bunch (DRE) – 6-1, 4-5, unfinished
(3) Nabila Farah (SCU) vs. Ghita Benhadi (DRE) – 6-3, 3-5 unfinished
(4) Zeina El Tawil (SCU) def. Lea Winkler (DRE) – 6-0, 6-2
(5) Caitlyn Frankel (SCU) def. Clary Rodriguez (DRE) – 7-6, 6-2
(6) Ryshena Providence (DRE) def. Giannina Ong (SCU) – 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3*, 6
* - clinched victory