April 11, 2005
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team bested West Coast Conference opponent Portland 6-1 this afternoon at the Degheri Tennis Center. Santa Clara is now 12-5 on the season, 3-1 in league play. The Pilots are now 7-14 overall, 1-3 in the WCC.
Santa Clara scored the afternoon's first point with two wins in doubles play. Janalle Kaloi and Kelly Leathers paired at the top spot for an 8-4 victory over Portland's Cristin Sammis and Sanja Indic. SCU's second pair of Catherine Cochrane and Erika Barnes did not cede a game in their 8-0 win.
"I knew going in Portland was going to be tough in doubles and have taken a lot of match points with their doubles play," head coach Damon Coupe explained. "So we really stressed taking control early to secure the first point. We were able to do that, and to go up 1-0 really gave our team confidence heading into singles. Portland came out and surprised us in some singles matches so our team was forced to turn things around in order to be victorious."
The Broncos clinched the team victory with wins by Kaloi, Cochrane and Jessie Strunk on courts 2, 3 and 6, respectively. Cochrane's was a come-from-behind three-set win over Jaclyn Soltysik.
Leathers won at the top singles position and Kimberly Daniel overcame 2-5 deficits in each set to also earn a victory and close out the Bronco scoring.
Portland's point came at No. 4 singles, a super-tiebeaker victory by Christina Feyen.
Santa Clara will travel to Stockton for a 2 p.m. contest against Pacific on Tuesday. The Broncos return home on Thursday for a 2:30 p.m. match against Northern Arizona. The Broncos will honor seniors Janalle Kaloi and Catherine Cochrane prior to the start of the contest against the Lumberjacks.
1. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) def. Cristin Sammis/Indic (PORT) 8-4
2. Cochrane/Barnes (SCU) def. Tyson/Griffin (PORT) 8-0
3. Soltysik/Feyen (PORT) def. Daniel/J. Strunk (SCU) 8-4
1. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Sanja Indic (PORT) 6-7, 6-7, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Alyson Tyson (PORT) 6-3, 6-1
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Jaclyn Soltysik (PORT) 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
4. Christina Feyen (PORT) def. Erika Barnes (SCU) 6-4, 6-7, 1-0 (10-3)
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Lindsey Griffin (PORT) 7-5, 7-5
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) def. Adele Rockett (PORT) 6-3, 6-3