SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Beginning the final homestand of the regular season, Santa Clara women's soccer beat San Francisco 2-0 Friday evening for its fifth consecutive victory.
The Broncos (11-6-1, 6-1 WCC) were once again led on offense by Kelsey Turnbow who scored a pair of goals. It was the third time in the last five matches that she has scored multiple goals.
The first goal came in the 26th minute when Turnbow took a pass from Maddy Gonzalez and ripped a shot from just inside the box to the far post.
She added another in the 58th minute. Gudrun Arnardottir made a nice play to run down a ball just before it went over the end line and centered it Turnbow who finished in an empty net.
Olivia Camera made five saves for the Dons (6-10-2, 2-5 WCC), including three acrobatic ones, to keep the game within striking distance.
- Santa Clara is now 32-1-1 all-time against San Francisco.
- With her goal in the 26th minute, Kelsey Turnbow became the first Santa Clara freshman to score 10+ goals in a season since Leslie Osborne scored 13 in 2001, the year the Broncos won the national title.
- Santa Clara held the edge in shots 16-5 and 7-2 in shots on goal.
- Melissa Lowder made two saves and got her third shutout of the year.
- The Broncos have now gotten 32 of their 39 goals from underclassmen and 20 from freshmen.
- Santa Clara has outscored its opponents 17-3 during their winning streak.
The Broncos return to action Thursday at 7 p.m. against San Diego in a game originally scheduled for Oct. 14.
Connect with the Broncos on Social Media
Athletics: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Snapchat
Women's Soccer: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Snapchat