MORAGA, Calif. – Kelsey Turnbow had a hat trick to lead Santa Clara women's soccer to a 6-1 victory at Saint Mary's Friday afternoon. It was Turnbow's first career hat trick and second time in the last three matches that she has scored multiple goals after scoring twice at Portland (Oct. 6).
Turnbow's first two goals came in the first half in the 16th and 21st minutes. The first came on a cross from Sofia Jones with Turnbow sliding to knock the ball into the back of the net. In the 21st, Julie Doyle dribbled down the middle of the field and slipped a pass near the top of the box to Turnbow who took a touch before finishing while being dragged down from behind.
She completed the hat trick in the 71st minute off an assist from Kelce Hedge. Hedge sent a through-ball that Turnbow finished into the bottom-left corner from 19-yards out.
The Broncos also got goals from Gudrun Arnardottir in the 10th minute off a penalty kick, Machaela George off an assist from Julie Doyle in the 24th, and DB Pridham off a pass from Natalie Kennedy in the 84th.
A long pass by Heather Seybert to Jordyn Cunningham got the Gaels their lone goal in the 28th. Cunningham slipped behind the defense and beat the keeper one-on-one.
- Santa Clara is now 33-3-5 all-time against Saint Mary's have is unbeaten in 17-straight (14-0-3) matches.
- Turnbow's hat trick was the 28th in program history. She became the 18th Bronco to accomplish the feat.
- This was Santa Clara's highest offensive output since winning 6-3 at Gonzaga in 2013.
- Melissa Lowder made four saves in the first half and Courtney Ogren made one in the second.
- Santa Clara put 13 of its 19 shots on goal.
Santa Clara plays its final road West Coast Conference match of the year at Pacific on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Connect with the Broncos on Social Media
Athletics: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Snapchat
Women's Soccer: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Snapchat