Women's Soccer Ties No. 23 Georgetown 1-1 Despite Several Chances

Women's Soccer Ties No. 23 Georgetown 1-1 Despite Several Chances

PALO ALTO, Calif. - Kicking off the Stanford Tournament, Santa Clara women's soccer tied No. 23 Georgetown 1-1. The tie puts the Broncos' record at 2-2-2 and moves Georgetown to 6-0-1.

Lauren Matheson scored the only Bronco goal and also had three shots on goal which was second on the day behind Sofia Huerta who had five. Freshman goalkeeper Andi Tostanoski continued her impressive play as she collected two saves while playing all 110 minutes.

The Broncos outshot the Hoyas 20-10 and the Hoyas' goalkeeper collected an amazing 14 saves to keep her team in the game.

Santa Clara's next game will be vs. Boston University at Buck Shaw Stadium at 1 p.m. on Sun., Sept. 9.

"I felt early in the game we rushed our scoring opportunities and late in the game we took too long," said Santa Clara head coach Jerry Smith. "We had some really easy chances with the ball at our feet in the penalty box and we couldn't do it. It's always disappointing to walk away from a game when you outplay your opponent but aren't able to win the game. We have to find a way to get that second goal. I think we're missing some leadership on the field and leadership is such an integral part of being successful in college sports. We do feel fairly good, however, about outplaying a team that was undefeated and ranked in the top-25 coming into the game."

In her first game back after playing for the Mexican National Team in the U-20 Women's World Cup, Huerta made her presence on offense felt tremendously in the first half. She took three shots on goal in the first half and setup two more chances. In the first minutes of the game Olivia Klei sent a ball to Huerta that she hit on the ground that went right to the goalie.

Later in the half Huerta made a beautiful tackle and took control of the ball. Her pass to Sarah Jackson was just past the outstretched foot and the ball went out for a Georgetown goal kick.

Huerta also setup a chance for Cate Parchinski in the 42nd minute when she sent a ball to the box but Parchinski's header went over the crossbar.

The Hoyas also had two good scoring chances in the first half. The first came in the first minutes of the game when a Santa Clara defensive misplay gave Georgetown the ball right in front of the goal but the shot sailed high.

The second chance came when Sarah Adams got the ball all alone but her shot on the ground was saved by Tostanoski in the 25th minute.

The first half ended in a 0-0 tie.

Both teams struck early in the second half. In the 51st minute a Hoya block deflected straight to the foot of Matheson who took control of the ball at the top of the box. She rocketed a shot past the goalkeeper Emma Newins into the top-right corner of the goal for her second of the season and gave the Broncos a 1-0 lead.

Two minutes later Georgetown evened the score when Daphne Corboz passed the ball to the right side of the box and Adams connected across the goal to make the score 1-1.

Parchinski almost broke the tie when she collected a ball on the ground, turned and hit a low shot on the ground that was saved by the Hoya's goalkeeper.

Only a beautiful save by the Georgetown goalkeeper kept the game tied off of a corner kick in the 77th minute. Parchinski went above the defense to put a head on the ball but a lunge to the right by Newins kept the ball from crossing the goal line.

With under one minute remaining in regulation, Alyssa Kleiner nearly won the game for Santa Clara. She got a one-on-one with the Hoya goalkeeper but Newins made a fantastic save to send the game to overtime.

The only scoring chance in the first overtime came when Dani Weatherholt got the ball just outside the top of the box and turned to fire a shot that hit the cross bar three minutes into overtime. Santa Clara was unable to run down the rebound and the Hoya's took possession.

Santa Clara had another fantastic chance to score in the second 103rd minute off the foot of Kat McAuliffe. Kleiner sent a ball to the top of the box that was deflected wide right. McAuliffe ran the ball down and fired a shot that went off the oncoming goalkeeper.

Despite the several chances for goals throughout the 110 minutes, the game ended in a 1-1 tie.