Women's Soccer Battles to 1-1 Tie with Connecticut

Women's Soccer Battles to 1-1 Tie with Connecticut

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - In a game of several close calls, Santa Clara women's soccer fought to a 1-1 tie with Connecticut to wrap-up its part in the Notre Dame Adidas Invitational. The Broncos move to 2-2-1 and the Huskies are also 2-2-1 after the tie.

Senior captain Lauren Matheson scored the Santa Clara goal in the ninth minute unassisted and freshmen goalkeeper Andi Tostanoski continued her solid play as she collected nine saves.

The Broncos next game will be vs. Georgetown on Fri., Sept. 7 at 4:30 p.m. as part of the Stanford Tournament. Two days later on Sun., Sept. 9 the team will host Boston University at 1 p.m.

Santa Clara took advantage of a Connecticut mistake in the ninth minute to jump to an early lead off the foot of Matheson. Matheson stole the ball from the defense in the box and chipped it over the goalkeeper for her first goal of the season.

The Huskies weren't down long as in the 23rd minute they tied the score on Danielle Schulmann's second goal of the season. Jennifer Skogerboe sent a lob into the box that Schullmann chipped past Tostanoski to even the score at 1-1.

Connecticut put two shots on goal in the last six minutes of the first half but Tostanoski saved both attempts to keep the score tied at 1-1 going into halftime.

Sarah Jackson gave her best effort to put Santa Clara back on top to start the second half but was denied on four shots. In the first six minutes of the half Jackson had three shots blocked by the Huskies' defense and sent one ball over the crossbar.

The Broncos had another chance to take the lead in the 73rd minute when freshman Dani Weatherholt had a shot blocked and Meleana Shim fired a shot that was saved by the Connecticut goalkeeper. Minutes later Kat McAuliffe fired a shot that was saved by the defense and Matheson's rebound was blocked.

Santa Clara continued its attack to start overtime as Jackson had another shot saved by Allison Saucier and minutes later Matheson hit the post. With no more scoring chances for either team the rest of the way, the game ended in a 1-1 tie.