SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Santa Clara beach volleyball lost its home finale 4-1 on Tuesday against San José State at the SCU Beach Volleyball Courts. In the only meeting of crosstown rivals on the season, the Spartans won in straight sets at No. 1, No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5.
Fernanda Vido/Ryann Thomison and Kaitlynn Zdorik/Thaliana Grajeda won at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively, to give the Spartans (11-7) the early 2-0 dual edge. Luiza Andrade/Giulia Gávio clinched the dual at No. 3 before Tabea Schwarz/Caitlin Bettenay took their match at No. 1 to round out the day's action.
Chloe Loreen/Alex Anthony scored their second straight match win for the Broncos (2-8) at No. 3, besting San José State's Sarah Smevog/Julia Golbeck 21-10, 23-21, including taking the second set in comeback fashion. Smevog/Golbeck entered the day with a 15-2 match record for San José State.
"We've been working on identifying a game plan based on our opponents and just executing that," Loreen said. "That is the main reason we've won the last two matches. We've been working really hard in practice.
"Alex and I work really well together because we're both very happy and supportive people but we also talk about our game plan and executing it; our communication is really good and we both work really hard. When we have a scramble play, we get super excited and get each other pumped up and build momentum from there."
SAN JOSÉ STATE 4 SANTA CLARA 1
1. Tabea Schwarz/Caitlin Bettenay (SJSU) def. Michelle Gajdka/Anna McCreadie (SCU) 21-14, 21-14
2. Luiza Andrade/Giulia Gávio (SJSU) def. Kathryn Decker/Liliana Light (SCU) 21-19, 21-13
3. Chloe Loreen/Alex Anthony (SCU) def. Sarah Smevog/Julia Golbeck (SJSU) 21-10, 23-21
4. Fernanda Vido/Ryann Thomison (SJSU) def. Gretchen Reinert/Brittany Gillingham (SCU) 21-16, 21-14
5. Kaitlynn Zdorik/Thaliana Grajeda (SJSU) def. Natalia Rentsch/Alexa Dreyer (SCU) 21-11, 18-11
6. (Ex.) Ciara Reistad/Haylee Nelson (SJSU) def. Caroline Caruso/Kathryn LeBaron (SCU) 18-21, 21-13, 15-9
The Broncos play five duals in three days Friday through Sunday in Arizona. They face New Mexico, Arizona (twice), NAIA Ottawa and Grand Canyon.
CONNECT WITH THE BRONCOS ON SOCIAL MEDIA