SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Kyla Martin and Dru Toleafoa had career nights to lead Santa Clara women's basketball past UC Santa Barbara 68-63 Tuesday night in the Leavey Center.
Martin registered her first double-double with a career-high 17 points and a career-best 11 assists while committing no turnovers. Toleafoa also set a career-high with 17 points and went 9-for-11 from the free throw line. Taylor Berry added 10 points and a game-high seven rebounds.
After the Broncos (1-1) started to pull away towards the end of the third quarter with an 8-0 run, the Gauchos (1-1) got back in it with a 9-2 stretch midway through the fourth and later in the period scored five in a row, capped by a layup from Sarah Porter with 36 seconds to go, to make it a one-possession game at 64-61.
Santa Clara responded with a pair of clutch free throws from both Martin and Toleafoa to put the game on ice.
Drew Edelman led all scorers with 23 points on 8-for-16 shooting from the field and 7-for-8 from the charity stripe. She also pulled down a team-high six rebounds. No other Gaucho scored in double-figures after having four accomplish the feat in a season-opening win that saw them score 96.
Martin's hottest stretch came in the first quarter when she scored eight in a row after the Gauchos had used a 10-0 run to take a 10-4 lead. She hit a jumper and slashed through the lane to spark the offense.
- Santa Clara is now 6-5 all-time against UC Santa Barbara.
- The Broncos shot 47.1-percent from the field with 17 assists on 24 made baskets.
- Martin also set career-highs in field goals (6) and field goal attempts (13).
- Toleafoa had career-bests in free throws (9) and free throws attempted (11).
- Andraya Flor hit her first career 3-pointer.
- Alexis Brigham made her collegiate debut.
- The Broncos were without their leading scorer Emily Wolph due to an injury.
Santa Clara closes its homestand with USC Friday at 7 p.m.
Connect with the Broncos on Social Media
Athletics: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Snapchat
Women's Basketball: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram