March 3, 2002
There are 33 at-large bids available in this year's NCAA Tournament.
Since 1994, the West Coast Conference has had five occasions in which two teams have advanced to the big dance.
SCU is now 3-3 overall as a second seed, to go with a semifinal appearance in 1999 and a first round exit last season.
Three teams have won the WCC title as a second seed. Host San Diego did it in 1993, while USF did it in back-to-back years, 1996-97.
Santa Clara is 2-2 against Pepperdine in the league tournament. The Broncos defeated the Waves in the opening round of the 1992 tournament 65-60, and followed that with a 1995 win by a 76-63 score. Pepperdine won the third meeting between the schools, in the 1997 championship, 58-56.
Santa Clara has made three appearances in the championship tournament, in 1992, '93 and last in '98. Santa Clara won on two of those occasions, bringing home titles in 1992 and '98. On both of those occasions, SCU was the No. 1 seed.
Santa Clara tied or set 14 tournament records during the weekend:
· Individual Points in a game: 34, Caroline Gruening vs. Saint Mary's
· Individual Field Goals Made in a game: Tied at 11, Caroline Gruening vs. Saint Mary's
· Individual Three-Point Field Goals Made in a game: 8, Caroline Gruening vs. Saint Mary's
· Individual Assists in a tournament: 26, Becki Ashbaugh
· Individual Three-Point Field Goals Made in a tournament: 12, Caroline Gruening
· Individual Three-Point Field Goal Attempts in a tournament: 24, Caroline Gruening
· Team Most Points in a game: Tied at 87, vs. Saint Mary's
· Team Assists in a game: Tied at 22, vs. Saint Mary's
· Team Three-Point Field Goals Made in a game: 11, vs. Saint Mary's
· Team Most Points in a tournament: 246
· Team Assists in a tournament: 60
· Team Field Goals Made in a tournament: 89
· Team Three-Point Field Goals Made in a tournament: 27
· Team Three-Point Field Goals Attempted in a tournament: 60