SANTA CLARA, Calif.- Santa Clara men's water polo team saw its first conference win defeating Cal Baptist, 14-12, at the Sullivan Aquatic Center on Thursday.
The Broncos (5-8, 1-2) scored six times with the man advantage and once in the five meter.
In the final quarter, John Raineri, Kirk and Werner scored consecutively, setting a three goal lead from the Lancers, 13-10.
"That is our first conference win and just a really good game," said head coach Keith Wilbur. "Cal Baptist is an excellent team. I was really excited the guys came out on fire in the first quarter with a lot of energy, great defense and great countering. I think that feeds everything else in the game, especially our offense. I really liked how they started and finished that game and how they kept their heads in it all the way through. It was a really good win."
• Reilley May had a team-high four kickouts drawn, followed by Carey drawing three.
• Orella had a team-high four assists, while Werner, Hughes, and Carey each had two.
• Emil Huebner had a presence in net with six blocks and one steal.
• Carey scored on the five meter shot.
• Shane Hughes and Dane Estrella both had two steals.
The Santa Clara men's water polo team is set to play host to the inaugural Julian Fraser Memorial Tournament, which begins Friday. Santa Clara's first game in the tournament is set for 5 p.m. Friday vs. Harvard.