Feb. 22, 2009
Provo, Utah - The Santa Clara men's tennis team fell to No. 48 Denver University in Provo, Utah on Saturday, 4-0. Denver improved to 6-5 with the victory while Santa Clara moved to 1-2.
"I'm disappointed with how the weekend turned out and how we played," said Santa Clara head coach Derek Mills. "Hopefully we learned some lessons on how to compete and bring energy to matches. We are going to need to take those lessons and apply them to this weekend's matches against Davis and Gonzaga and hopefully we can come out with two wins."
After two hard fought matches versus two of the nation's top teams, SCU returns home this week to take on UC Davis on Feb. 28, and Gonzaga on Mar. 1, to begin the WCC dual season.
Denver-4 Santa Clara-0
1. M. Zimmermann (DU) vs. Jay Wong (SCU) DNF
2. #83D. Simson (DU) def. Kyle Dandan (SCU) 6-1, 6-1
3. B. Althaus (DU) def. Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong (SCU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Y. Weihs (DU) def. Tommy Hicks (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
5. J. Gunnarsson (DU) vs. Charlie Burke (SCU) DNF
6. V. Gunaseelan (DU) vs. John Iwanksi (SCU) DNF
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 3