SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Santa Clara men's tennis dropped its match at San Diego State on Friday by a score of 4-2. The Broncos tied the score at 2-2 but were unable to complete the comeback.
San Diego State (8-14, 3-3 MWC) won on courts one and two by a score of 6-2 on both courts to secure the doubles point over Santa Clara (14-6, 4-4 WCC). Although SCU has come back to win four matches on the year when dropping the doubles point, SDSU held the Broncos off.
The Aztecs started singles play with a win on court four to take a 2-0 lead. The Broncos then tied the score after freshman Vasileios Iliopoulos and sophomore Connor Garnett won on courts five and three, respectively. Iliopoulos picked up a 6-1, 6-1 win over Joel Popov on court five. Garnett then defeated S. Gjoels-Andersen by a score of 6-4 6-1 but that would be the final point for the Broncos. SDSU went on to earn three-set victories on courts six and one to secure the victory.
Santa Clara will play its regular season finale at San Diego on Sunday at 1 p.m.
SDSU 4, SCU 2
April 21, 2017 | San Diego, Calif.
1. Santiago Cevallos/Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) def. Connor Garnett/Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) 6-3
2. S. Gjoels-Andersen/Nicholas Mitchell (SDSU) def. Robert Seby/Jesus Barajas (SCU) 6-3
3. Andrew Gu/Kamran Khan (SCU) vs. Marko Goles-Babic/David Hough (SDSU) no result
SDSU wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2*
1. Marko Goles-Babic (SDSU) def. Andrew Gu (SCU) 3-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
2. Robert Seby (SCU) vs. Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) no result
3. Connor Garnett (SCU) def. S. Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Santiago Cevallos (SDSU) def. Jesus Barajas (SCU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Joel Popov (SDSU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Rafael G. Almazan (SDSU) def. Kamran Khan (SCU) 6-1, 6-7 (3-7), 6-2
Order of finish: 4,5,3,6,1*
* - Clinched Victory