SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Santa Clara men's tennis won the doubles point but lost four singles matches and fell 4-3 to San Francisco on Saturday afternoon. Saturday's match was the final contest the squad will play at Degheri Tennis Center where the team went 10-3 on the year.
Santa Clara (14-5, 4-4 WCC) picked up the doubles point over San Francisco (10-12, 5-3 WCC) with wins on courts one and two. Sophomore Robert Seby and freshman Jesus Tapiador Barajas won 6-3 on court two. Sophomore Connor Garnett and freshman Vasileios Iliopoulos clinched the point with a 7-5 win on court one.
Sophomore Andrew Gu gave SCU a 2-0 lead as he was the first finisher in singles action with a 6-3, 6-1 win on court two over Johan Joenhagen. The Dons won the next three matches on courts four, one and three (in that order) to take a 3-2 lead. Iliopoulos won 6-1, 4-6, 6-2 on court five over Paul Giraud to tie the score. Sophomore Kamran Khan fell to Woravin Kumthonkittikul on court six in the deciding match by a score of 6-3, 4-6, 2-6.
Santa Clara will play San Diego State on Friday at 1 p.m. PT before playing its regular season finale at San Diego on Sunday at 1 p.m.
USF 4, SCU 3
April 15, 2017 | Degheri Tennis Center (Santa Clara, Calif.)
1. Connor Garnett/Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) def. BROCKSTEDT,Christian/ZINCIRLI, Mert (USF) 7-5
2. Robert Seby/Jesus Barajas (SCU) def. MAH, Jerod/JOENHAGEN, Johan (USF) 6-3
3. Andrew Gu/Kamran Khan (SCU) vs. POYSTI, Oliver/GIRAUD, Paul (USF) 6-6, unfinished
SCU wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1*
1. ZINCIRLI, Mert (USF) def. Robert Seby (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Andrew Gu (SCU) def. JOENHAGEN, Johan (USF) 6-3, 6-1
3. MARKER, Ryan (USF) def. Connor Garnett (SCU) 7-5, 6-3
4. POYSTI, Oliver (USF) def. Jesus Barajas (SCU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
5. Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) def. GIRAUD, Paul (USF) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
6. KUMTHONKITTIKUL, W. (USF) def. Kamran Khan (SCU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 2,4,1,3,5,6*
* - Clinched Victory