SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Santa Clara men's tennis came back to defeat Loyola Marymount on Saturday by a score of 4-2. For the fifth time this season, the Broncos dropped the doubles point but rallied to win the match. Sophomore Robert Seby's three-set win on court one clinched the victory for SCU.
Loyola Marymount (5-12, 1-3 WCC) picked up the doubles point over the Broncos (14-3, 4-2 WCC). Seby and freshman Jesus Tapiador Barajas earned a 6-2 win on court two to briefly give SCU a lead before courts one and three went to the Lions.
Freshman Vasileios Iliopoulos tied things up at one as he earned the first victory in singles play. Iliopoulos defeated Max Kaiser on court five by a score of 6-3, 6-0 for his fourth straight singles victory. The Broncos took a 2-1 lead when sophomore Kamran Khan earned a 6-1, 7-5 win on court six over Alex Bourgeois. After LMU won on court two, sophomore Connor Garnett gave SCU a 3-2 lead with his 7-6, 6-2 win on court three over Luke Bohuslav. Barajas was deadlocked on court four against Luke Moenter (6-2, 6-7, 6-6) when Seby clinched the victory on court one. He defeated Nick Borchenko by a score of 7-6, 1-6, 6-4, his fourth three-set win in dual match play this season.
Santa Clara hosts Pepperdine on Sunday at 1 p.m. PT tomorrow at Degheri Tennis Center.
SCU 4, LMU 2
April 8, 2017 | Degheri Tennis Center (Santa Clara, Calif.)
1. Borchenko/Diaz Freire (LMU) def. Iliopoulos/Garnett (SCU) – 6-2
2. Seby/Barajas (SCU) def. (Moenter/Kaiser (LMU) – 6-2
3. Bohuslav/Brown (LMU)def. Gu Khan (SCU) – 6-4
SCU wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Robert Seby (SCU) def. Nick Borchenko (LMU) – 7-6, 1-6, 6-4
2. Gabriel Diaz Freire (LMU) def. Andrew Gu (SCU) – 6-4, 6-3
3. Connor Garnett (SCU) def. Luke Bohuslav (LMU) – 7-6, 6-2
4. Jesus Barajas (SCU) vs. Luke Moenter (LMU) – 6-2, 6-7, 6-6 unfinished
5. Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Max Kaiser (LMU) – 6-3, 6-0
6. Kamran Khan (SCU) def. Alex Bourgeois (LMU) – 6-1, 7-5
Order of finish: 5, 6, 2, 3, 1*
* - clinched victory