SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Santa Clara men's tennis swept the weekend with a 4-0 victory over UNLV on Sunday, moving to 6-1 on the season. Sophomore Robert Seby clinched the victory for SCU with a single victory on court one.
"I'm so proud of them (the team)," Seby said. "We are just a completely passionate, dedicated team that will win at all costs. UNLV is a really good team and for the doubles point and the first set all of the singles matches we definitely took it to them. We dominated them. I'm proud of everybody here, we've put in a lot of work and we're going to keep it going."
Santa Clara claimed the doubles point for the first time in their last four matches. Seby and Connor Garnett clinched the point with a 7-6 (7-4) win on court one. Sophomore Andrew Gu and freshman Vasileios Iliopoulos got SCU off on the right foot with their 6-4 win on court two.
Garnett once again made quick work of his opponent on court three, defeating Ruben Alberts 6-0, 6-3. Iliopoulos then won 6-3, 6-4 on court five over Courtney Lock. Seby's victory on court one secured the win for Santa Clara, beating Jakob Amilon 6-2, 2-6, 6-4. Gu had match point on court two against Alexandr Cozbinov at 6-3, 4-6, 5-3 but Seby clinched seconds before and UNLV (4-2) elected not to finish the match.
"We started off hot," Angus said. "For the first 45 minutes we made a very good team look average and we played really good tennis. Then we had a little bit of a lull and that's due to the fact that we're a young team and we can learn from that."
Santa Clara returns to Degheri Tennis Center on Sunday, Feb. 19 against Boise State at 10 a.m. PT.
SCU 4, UNLV 0
Feb. 12, 2017 | Degheri Tennis Center (Santa Clara, Calif.)
(1) Seby/Garnett (SCU) def. Neto/Amilon (UNLV) – 7-6 (3)
(2) Gu/Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Alberts/Lock (UNLV) – 6-4
(3) Solberg/Gage-Brown (UNLV) vs. Khan/Barajas (SCU) – 5-5 unfinished
SCU wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1*
(1) Robert Seby (SCU) vs. Jakob Amilon (UNLV) - 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
(2) Andrew Gu (SCU) vs. Alexandr Cozbinov (UNLV) – 6-3, 4-6, 5-3 unfinished
(3) Connor Garnett (SCU) def. Ruben Alberts (UNLV) – 6-0, 6-3
(4) Jesus Tapiador Barajas (SCU) vs. Evaldo Neto (UNLV) – 6-3, 6-7, 4-3 unfinished
(5) Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Courtney Lock (UNLV) – 6-3, 6-4
(6) Kamran Khan (SCU) vs. Richard Solberg (UNLV) – 6-2, 6-7, 0-1 unfinished
Order of finish: 3, 5, 1*
* - clinched victory