April 12, 2003
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team shut out Gonzaga 7-0 in the second day of action at the West Coast Conference Championship. The Broncos, seeded fifth in the tournament, improve to 9-14 overall while the Bulldogs fall to 4-16. The tournament is being hosted by the University of San Diego at the newly-renovated West Courts.
Santa Clara swept doubles play, although Gonzaga took the Broncos to extra games at No. 1 and 2 doubles. Senior Michael Bruggemann's victory in the top doubles slot with junior Erich Chen, gave him 61 career combined doubles wins, setting a new record in the program.
Santa Clara went on to sweep singles in straight sets. Freshman Ted Blosser led with his 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Brendan Cunningham at No. 6 singles.
The WCC Championships continue through Sunday. Santa Clara will close participation tomorrow against sixth-seeded Portland at 9 a.m. That match will determine fifth place.
1. Chen/ Michael Bruggemann (SCU) def. Cooper/Ernst (GON) 9-8 (1)
2. Ruso/Zepponi (SCU) def. Arthur/Penney (GON) 9-7
3. Mattioli/Hidalgo (SCU) def. Whitney/Cunningham (GON) 8-3
1. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Bryce Cooper (GON) 6-3, 6-4
2. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Shaun Whitney (GON) 6-1, 6-4
4. Federico Mattioli (SCU) def. Reid Arthur (GON) 6-2, 6-1
5. Rick Ruso (SCU) def. Drew Ernst (GON) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ben Hidalgo (SCU) def. Robert Penney (GON) 6-2, 6-4
6. Ted Blosser (SCU) def. Brendan Cunningham (GON) 6-0, 6-0