Posted: Aug 25, 2018
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Coming off a 2-0 win over San Diego State of the Pac-12 conference in Friday's season opener, the Santa Clara men's soccer team faces UAB on Sunday night at Stevens Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. PT.
Two second-half goals by Andres Jimenez and Javier Ruiz Duran along with solid defense holding SDSU to just four shots helped goalkeeper Dakota Havlick record a clean sheet to open the 2018 season.
For an in-depth preview to the 2018 Santa Clara squad, read the season preview and watch Head Coach Cam Rast and captain Brandon Gillingham talk about the upcoming season.
Santa Clara is 1-1-0 all-time against UAB with the first meeting coming in 1999. The two squads met at the NCAA Tournament round of 16 where SCU was victorious in overtime, 3-2. In 2016, the Blazers took down the Broncos, 1-0, in the nonconference finale at Birmingham, Alabama. This is the first meeting in Santa Clara.
Halftime interview with Cam Rast.
Broncos Team Information
• Sixteen players with playing experience return including eight who played 11 or more games last season.
• Broncos welcome 11 newcomers – 10 freshmen plus one transfer (Alan Jonathan Camacho Soto) from Temple.
• Top three goal scorers were lost to graduation: Carlos Delgadillo (6), Valdemar Andersen (5), Yoshi Chaffin (3).
• Returning goal scorers (2017 stats): Javier Ruiz Duran (2), Miles Robinson (2), Nate Shue (2), Brandon Gillingham (1), Andres Jimenez (1).
• Returning goalkeepers (2017 stats): Dakota Havlick (8 games played, 3-4-1 record, 1.70 Goals Against Average, .622 save percentage), Henning Jolivet (6 GP, 0-5, 3.26 GAA, .575), Aran O'Brien (3 GP, 0-2, 2.71 GAA, .611).
• Sophomores: 10 (Alex Achramowicz, Isaac Addai, Javier Ruiz Duran, Matt Golbranson (RS), Henning Jolivet (RS), Aran O'Brien, Isaac Olusina, Nate Shue (RS), Terrell Smith, Alan Jonathan Camacho Soto)
• Freshmen: 11 (Martin Utgaard Aasen, Alejandro Barajas (RS), Julian Bravo, Sakari Carter, Email Christensen, RJ Egdorf, Presten Manthey, Alejandro Perez, Eduardo Lopez Perez, Tennyson Stevens (RS), Bishop Washington)
Across the Globe
• The Bronco roster fields a squad composed of player hometowns from nine states and five countries.
o States: California, Colorado, Georgia, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Washington
o Countries: Canada, Denmark, Norway, Spain, United States
• Ruiz Duran led the team with two goals in the preseason, scoring a goal in each of the two contests.
• Soto got on the score sheet in each of the preseason contests, scoring a goal against Sacramento State and recording an assist against San José State.
• Jimenez has scored the game winner in the last two games going back to last season's final game against San Diego. Against the Toreros, Jimenez scored the game winner in the 85th minute to give the Broncos a 1-0 win. In the 2018 season opener, the senior from Gilroy, California, scored the game winner on a penalty kick in the 64th minute.
• Havlick has recorded a clean sheet in the last two matches and three of the last four, dating back to last season. The senior captain has seven career shutouts.
From Friday's Season Opener
• Broncos head coach Cam Rast improved his record in season openers to 9-8 including 4-4 at home.
• Friday's win was the first season opening win since 2014 when the Broncos beat Nebraska-Omaha, 3-2, in overtime.
• Freshman Martin Aasen, Emil Christensen and Sakari Carter all started, making their Bronco debuts.
• Sophomore transfer Alan Camacho Soto and freshman Julian Bravo came off the bench to make their Bronco debuts.
• Javier Ruiz Duran has scored a goal in every match this season, including the two preseason matches.
• Last Friday's context against San Diego State was the third consecutive match the Broncos faced a "State" school. Santa Clara's first two preseason matches came against Sacramento State and San José State.
• The Broncos will face two more 'State' schools this season against Missouri State (Sept. 10) and Georgia State (Sept. 29).
UAB is led by Mike Getman, who is starting his 26th year as the head coach of the Blazers. In his 26 seasons, Getman has amassed 316 wins making him the 17th winningest active Division I coach.
UAB, a Conference USA school, is coming off a 2-1 overtime loss to Pacific conceding the match-tying goal with 11 seconds left in regulation followed by a golden goal in the 96th minute.
Redshirt senior defender Mathieu Laurent was tabbed to the preseason All-Conference USA team after garnering second team All-Conference honors last year.
Tickets: Season or single-game tickets are available. Click here to purchase online or contact the ticket office weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. at (408) 554-4660 or BroncoTickets@scu.edu. Group discounts are also available through our ticket office sales and service consultants. Gates to Stevens Stadium, as well as its ticket office, are open one hour prior to the start of the match. Pricing is subject to change.
Parking: For weekday matches, the Leavey Center lot, located on Accolti Way off El Camino Real, is free beginning one hour prior to kickoff. Any other parking facility on campus will be subject to normal daily rates or restrictions, including the main structure, located adjacent to Stevens Stadium on Palm Drive. During the weekend, campus parking facilities are free (except for permit required locations). Click here for a campus map and parking restrictions.