Aug 22, 2018
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Santa Clara men's soccer opens its 2018 regular season at home on Friday against San Diego State of the Pac-12 conference. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. PT.
The Broncos played two preseason matches leading up to the regular season, playing to a 2-2 draw against Sacramento State and recording a 2-1 win against San José State last week.
For an indepth preview to the 2018 Santa Clara squad, read the 2018 Season Preview.
Santa Clara is 11-7-2 all-time against San Diego State with the first meeting coming in 1976. Last year the Broncos lost 3-0 at SDSU while Broncos head coach Cam Rast turned to his bench to get an assessment on their play in the nonconference finale.
Halftime interview with Dakota Havlick.
Broncos Team Information
• Sixteen players with playing experience return including eight who played 11 or more games last season.
• Broncos welcome 11 newcomers – 10 freshmen plus one transfer (Alan Camacho Soto) from Temple.
• Top three goal scorers were lost to graduation: Carlos Delgadillo (6), Valdemar Andersen (5), Yoshi Chaffin (3).
• Returning goal scorers (2017 stats): Javier Ruiz Duran (2), Miles Robinson (2), Nate Shue (2), Brandon Gillingham (1), Andres Jimenez (1).
• Returning goalkeepers (2017 stats): Dakota Havlick (8 games played, 3-4-1 record, 1.70 Goals Against Average, .622 save percentage), Henning Jolivet (6 GP, 0-5, 3.26 GAA, .575), Aran O'Brien (3 GP, 0-2, 2.71 GAA, .611).
• Broncos head coach Cam Rast is entering his 17th year at the helm, compiling a 161-113-47 overall record. He is Santa Clara men's soccer's winningest coach.
• Rast is 8-8 in season openers including 3-4 at home.
• Friday's August 24 opening match ties the earliest opener along with 2012, since 1973.
• Sophomores: 10 (Alex Achramowicz, Isaac Addai, Javier Ruiz Duran, Matt Golbranson (RS), Henning Jolivet (RS), Aran O'Brien, Isaac Olusina, Nate Shue (RS), Terrell Smith, Alan Camacho Soto)
• Freshmen: 11 (Martin Aasen, Alejandro Barajas (RS), Julian Bravo, Sakari Carter, Emil Christensen, RJ Egdorf, Presten Manthey, Alejandro Perez, Eduardo Lopez Perez, Tennyson Stevens (RS), Bishop Washington)
Across the Globe
• The Bronco roster is composed of player hometowns from nine states and five countries.
o States: California, Colorado, Georgia, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Washington
o Countries: Canada, Denmark, Norway, Spain, United States
• Ruiz Duran led the team with two goals in the preseason, scoring a goal in each of the two contests.
• Soto got on the score sheet in each of the preseason contests, scoring a goal against Sacramento State and recording an assist against San José State.
• Friday's context against San Diego State is the third consecutive match the Broncos will be facing a "State" school. Santa Clara's first two preseason matches came against Sacramento State and San José State.
VIDEO | Head coach Cam Rast on the leadership of Dakota Havlick/Brandon Gillingham and Gillingham on team dynamic!— Santa Clara Men's Soccer (@SCUBroncoSoccer) August 24, 2018
FULL VIDEO ▶️ https://t.co/FlI8ihK3NM#StampedeTogether #SCUBroncos pic.twitter.com/slJOGj5mmm
San Diego State is led by Lev Kirshner who is starting his 19th year as the head coach of the Aztecs. SDSU is coming off a 6-13-0 season and return seven letterwinners including five starters. One of the returners is redshirt junior midfielder Pablo Pelaez who was named to the 2018 All-Pac-12 preseason team.
The Aztecs who lost its top three goal scorers along with its four-year starter at goalkeeper will look to reload with six transfers from Division I programs and nine freshmen.
SDSU shutout Point Loma Nazarene 1-0 in its lone preseason match last Saturday. After playing the Broncos in its regular season opener, the Aztecs will travel north to play at San Francisco, another West Coast Conference school.
Tickets: Season or single-game tickets are available. Click here to purchase online or contact the ticket office weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. at (408) 554-4660 or BroncoTickets@scu.edu. Group discounts are also available through our ticket office sales and service consultants. Gates to Stevens Stadium, as well as its ticket office, are open one hour prior to the start of the match. Pricing is subject to change.
Parking: For weekday matches, the Leavey Center lot, located on Accolti Way off El Camino Real, is free beginning one hour prior to kickoff. Any other parking facility on campus will be subject to normal daily rates or restrictions, including the main structure, located adjacent to Stevens Stadium on Palm Drive. During the weekend, campus parking facilities are free (except for permit required locations). Click here for a campus map and parking restrictions.