SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Santa Clara women's tennis came up short on Senior Day against the San Diego Toreros and lost by a score of 4-0. The Broncos were in control early in doubles play but lost the point as it came down to the wire. The Toreros controlled singles play, winning on three courts and leading in two of the remaining three matches that went unfinished.
San Diego (10-12, 6-3 WCC) was down early in doubles action but rallied to claim the point over Santa Clara (8-12, 3-6 WCC). The Toreros won 6-2 on court three and 7-5 on court two to claim the point. Senior Daniella Silva and sophomore Madison Clarke won 7-5 on court one to move to 12-5 on the year in doubles action.
"It was really close in the doubles," head coach Ben Cabell said. "But overall, I'm really proud of the way we competed and I think that this team is a great group and they deserve a lot of success."
USD won singles matches on courts five, six and four (in that order) to clinch the win. Clarke was leading 6-3, 5-4 on court one but court four finished just before Clarke could secure the win. USD won the first set on both courts two and three but SCU was leading in both of the second sets.
"They should be proud of what they accomplished this year because they did do a good job," Cabell said. "Even though we didn't finish with the record we wanted, they were successful and showed they are a good team."
The Broncos will find out if they have qualified for the WCC Championship in the coming days as only the top six teams in the league compete in the tournament.
USD 4, SCU 0
Saturday, April 22 | Santa Clara, Calif. (Degheri Tennis Center)
Singles – Order of finish (5,6,4)
1. Madison Clarke (SCU) vs. Nicole Anderson (USD) 6-3, 5-4, unfinished
2. Daniella Silva (SCU) vs. Daniela Morales (USD) 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
3. Nabila Farah (SCU) vs. Gemma Garcia (USD) 4-6, 4-3, unfinished
4. Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Zeina El Tawil (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Maria-Paula Torres (USD) def. Caitlyn Frankel (SCU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Sophia Chow (USD) def. Giannina Ong (SCU) 6-0, 6-4
Doubles – Order of finish (3,1,2)
1. Daniella Silva/Madison Clarke (SCU) def. Daniela Morales/Gemma Garcia (USD) 7-5
2. Colomba DiFilippo/Nicole Anderson (USD) def. Nabila Farah/Caitlyn Frankel (SCU) 7-5
3. Maria-Paula Torres/Sophia Chow (USD) def. Giannina Ong/Zeina El Tawil (SCU) 6-2