SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – Santa Clara women's tennis picked up a 5-2 victory at Cal Poly on Saturday. In the first road match of the season, the Broncos won the doubles point and then picked up four singles victories to secure the win.
The Broncos (2-3) picked up the doubles point over Cal Poly (0-5) thanks to a win on court three by freshman Caitlyn Frankel and junior Zeina El Tawil (6-2) and senior Nabila Farah and freshman Delaney Nothaft (6-4) on court two.
Farah made quick work of Abigail Bacharach on court three with a 6-0, 6-0 win to start off singles play for the Broncos. Sophomore Madison Clarke then moved to 4-0 on court two on the season with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Seriana Saltzen. Nothaft earned her first singles win as a Bronco and it was the clincher, defeating Celine Guaz 6-3, 6-3 on court six. El Tawil earned a 7-6, 6-3 win on court four over Molly Reed.
Santa Clara returns to action at 2 p.m. PT at Degheri Tennis on March 4 against Fresno State University.
SCU 5, CP 2
Feb. 25, 2017 | San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
1. Seriana Saltzen/Molly Reed (CPWT) vs. Madison Clarke/Daniella Silva (SCU) 2-5, unfinished
2. Nabila Farah/Delaney Nothaft (SCU) def. Susanne Boyden/Abigail Bacharach (CPWT) 6-4
3. Caitlyn Frankel/Zeina El Tawil (SCU) def. Sayaka Tsugai/Celine Gruaz (CPWT) 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. Susanne Boyden (CPWT) def. Daniella Silva (SCU) 7-6, 6-4
2. Madison Clarke (SCU) def. Seriana Saltzen (CPWT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Nabila Farah (SCU) def. Abigail Bacharach (CPWT) 6-0, 6-0
4. Zeina El Tawil (SCU) def. Molly Reed (CPWT) 7-6, 6-3
5. Sayaka Tsugai (CPWT) def. Caitlyn Frankel (SCU) 6-2, 7-6
6. Delaney Nothaft (SCU) def. Celine Gruaz (CPWT) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 3,2,6*,5,4,1
* - clinched victory