SANTA CLARA, Calif. – The Santa Clara women's tennis team dropped its final Spring Break road-match to a solid UC Irvine squad by a score of 4-1 on Wednesday. The Broncos return to West Coast Conference competition on Fri., Apr. 4 at Brigham Young University.
Santa Clara moves to 7-7 after its non-conference loss to UC Irvine. The Broncos are 3-2 at home, 2-4 on the road and 2-1 on neutral surfaces. The team is 2-2 in the WCC this spring season.
The UC Irvine Anteaters got off to a quick start by capturing the doubles point. The Bronco duo of Chelby Cooke and Katie Le tallied the day's first win over Ali Facey and Franziska Goettsching on court one, 8-3, but the home team was able to grab the necessary victories on courts two and three.
On the singles side, UC Irvine carried its energy from doubles into singles, taking courts 3, 5, and 6 to close out the day in their favor.
The Broncos' lone point came from senior Katie Le at the No. 1 position. The Santa Clara senior breezed through the first set 6-2 over Sarah Gong of the Anteaters and then blanked Gong in the second, 6-0.
Le moved up eight spots in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings on Tues., Mar. 25 to stand as the No. 20 player in the country. Extending her winning streak to 10 with her win on Wednesday, Le has not lost a match since Feb. 14 and has not dropped a set since Feb. 22. The Milpitas, Calif. native posts an impressive 11-1 record in her final dual season at Santa Clara.
Santa Clara heads back on the road on Fri., Apr. 4 to take on BYU in Provo, Utah.
Check back into SantaClaraBroncos.com daily for all your women's tennis news, updates, and more!
UC Irvine 4, Santa Clara 1
March 26 | Anteater Tennis Stadium | Irvine, Calif.
1) #20 Katie Le (SCU) def. Sarah Gong (UCI) 6-2, 6-0
2) Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) vs. Marivick Mamiit (UCI) 6-4, 3-4 DNF
3) Franziska Goettsching (UCI) def. Chelby Cooke (SCU) 6-3, 6-1
4) Stephanie Skaras (SCU) vs. Ali Facey (UCI) 3-6, 6-1, 2-4 DNF
5) Kat Facey (UCI) def. Nicolette Wolny (SCU) 6-2, 6-2
6) Sarah Stadfelt (UCI) def. Elaine Chesoni (SCU) 6-2, 6-2
1) Cooke/Le (SCU) def. A. Facey/Goettsching (UCI) 8-3
2) Gong/Brooke Schweyer (UCI) def. Rouvillios/Daniella Silva (SCU) 8-6
3) K. Facey/Sarah Stadfelt (UCI) def. Skaras/Wolny (SCU) 8-7(4)