Women's Tennis Falls at Pepperdine, 6-1; Take on No. 20 Rice on Sunday
SANTA CLARA, Calif.—After an upset 5-2 victory over No. 61 Loyola Marymount University on March 28, the Santa Clara women's tennis team (7-6) could not carry the momentum to overtake West Coast Conference rival Pepperdine (5-10). The Broncos fell 6-1 at Pepperdine and now stand at 3-1 in WCC competition. Moving forward, Santa Clara takes on No. 20 Rice in Northridge, Calif. on Sun., March 31 at 9:00 a.m.
Santa Clara came up short on the doubles side and could only capture one singles victory in the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center.
The No. 3 Broncos doubles team, Delphine Rouvillois and Stephanie Skaras, defeated their opponents Megan Moore and Tara Panu by a score of 8-5, but the other two Bronco teams were not as successful. Katie Le and Jessica Agra fell to Lorraine Guillermo and Khunpak Issara, who are the No. 10 ranked doubles team in the nation by ITA, by a score of 8-1. Maggie McGeorge and Kelly Lamble's six-match winning streak was snapped by Ale Granillo and Michaela Capannolo of the Waves who took the match, 8-5.
In the singles competition, sophomore Stephanie Skaras gave Santa Clara its lone point of the day with a singles win at the No. 6 position. The Australian native defeated her opponent in a long three-set match after falling in the first set, 6-2. Skaras battled back to top Danielle Feneridis in the second and third sets, 6-4, 12-10.
No. 40 Lorraine Guillermo of Pepperdine topped No. 38 Le in three sets. Le took the first set, 6-0, but could not finish in the following two sets and fell, 6-3, 6-3 to Guillermo at the No. 1 singles spot. Senior Kelly Lamble was also unsuccessful against No. 58 Khunpak Issara of the Waves. Lamble fell in two sets, 6-2, 6-1.
Pepperdine took the No. 3, 4, and 5 matches all in two sets, ending the day with an overall score of 6-1 in the Waves favor.
Santa Clara takes on No. 20 Rice in Northridge, Calif. at 9:00 a.m. on Sun., March 31 to wrap up its three-match Southern Californian road trip.
Pepperdine 6, Santa Clara 1
1) #10 Lorraine Guillermo/Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) 8-1
2) Ale Granillo/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 8-5
3) Delphine Rouvillois/Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Megan Moore/Tara Panu (PEP) 8-5
1) #40 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. #28 Katie Le (SCU) 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
2) #58 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
3) Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) 6-3, 6-1
4) Megan Moore (PEP) def. Chelby Cooke (SCU) 7-6, 6-2
5) Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) 6-3, 7-6
6) Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 2-6, 6-4, 12-10
Game Notes – March 31, 2013
Santa Clara vs. #20 Rice @ 9:00 a.m. in Northridge, Calif.