SANTA CLARA, Calif.—The Santa Clara women's tennis team upset No. 61 Loyola Marymount University by a score of 5-2 on the Lion's home courts Thursday. The Broncos improve their undefeated West Coast Conference record to 3-0 and their overall record to 7-5 for the 2013 regular season. They meet another WCC opponent, Pepperdine, at 11:00 a.m. on Sat., March 30 in Malibu, Calif.
The Broncos (7-5; 3-0 WCC) snapped the Lion's (7-6; 0-1 WCC) four-match winning streak on Thursday with a 5-2 win on the road. In addition, Santa Clara gave LMU its the second loss at home this season.
Katie Le and Jessica Agra set the tone for the day by taking the No. 1 doubles match from April Bisharat and Claudia Razzeto of the Lions, 8-4. Seniors Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge solidified the doubles point with a win over Miya Jin and Reka Rohonyi, 8-6, at the No. 2 position. Lamble and McGeorge improve to a six-match winning streak in doubles.
On the singles side, sophomore Stephanie Skaras captured the first individual win when her opponent, Reka Rohonyi, retired at the end of the second set. Skaras won the first set, 6-1, and was leading in the second, 5-2. Lamble was second off the single courts as she dominated her competitor in two sets, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 2 spot.
Freshman Chelby Cooke is on a five-match singles winning streak with a two-set victory over the Lion's Miya Jin at the No. 4 position, 7-5, 6-2. Alex Zaniewski tallied her second win of the dual season topping Tory Parravi in three sets, 1-6, 6-3, 6-3, at the No. 3 spot for the Broncos.
In addition to Pepperdine on Saturday, Santa Clara also takes on No. 20 Rice in Northridge, Calif. at 9:00 a.m. on Sun., March 31.
Santa Clara 5, #61 LMU 2
1) Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) def. April Bisharat/Claudia Razzeto (LMU) 8-4
2) Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Miya Jin/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 8-6
3) Tory Parravi/Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) def. Stephanie Skaras/Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) 8-6
1) April Bisharat (LMU) def. #28 Katie Le (SCU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
2) Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Claudia Razzeto (LMU) 6-1, 6-2
3) Alex Zaniewski (SCU) def. Tory Parravi (LMU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
4) Chelby Cooke (SCU) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 7-5, 6-2
5) Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) def. Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) 7-6, 6-1
6) Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 6-1, 5-2, retired
Game Notes – March 30, 2013
Santa Clara vs. Pepperdine @ 11:00 a.m. in Malibu, Calif. (Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
Game Notes – March 31, 2013
Santa Clara vs. #20 Rice @ 9:00 a.m. in Northridge, Calif.