Davis, Calif.—The Santa Clara women's tennis team traveled to Davis, Calif. on Super Bowl Sunday and tallied won its first away match of the 2013 season, topping UC Davis 4-3. After a successful win on the road, the Bronco women now look to this weekend, hosting San Jose State on Sat., Feb. 9 at 11 a.m. and No. 56 Fresno State on Sun., Feb. 10 at 11 a.m. on the Mission Campus.
"It was a great win to continue the success of the beginning of the season," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "It's never easy to win on the road against this solid Aggies team. We are all really happy with the end result."
Cabell emphasized the efforts of Stephanie Skaras and newcomer Delphine Rouvillois at the No. 3 doubles spot for the Broncos. They were key in clinching the doubles point for Santa Clara, which allowed for the team to come out on top 4-3 in the tight match. Skaras and Rouvillois battled to the end against the Aggies' Lauren Curry and Melissa Kobayakawa and ended up winning the doubles match in a tiebreaker 8-7(0).
With the doubles point on its side, Santa Clara (2-0) then focused on capturing at least three of the singles matches to win the overall team victory. Senior Kelly Lamble defeated Lauren Curry 6-2, 6-4 in a quick two set match. Skaras continued her winning streak of the day with a tough two set match victory over Melissa Kobayakawa in a tiebreaker in the second set 6-1, 7-6(5).
No. 26 Katie Le was the last one off the courts on Sunday, playing a tough three-set match against Megan Heneghan. Neither player gave up a break in the third set until Heneghan in the final game. Le hit a cross-court to force Heneghan deep to her forehand side, and Heneghan's shot drifted wide. The match ended in Le's favor by a score of 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.
"The women are excited to play at home against two very good teams. I predict that these will both be two tough close matches, and we will look to play to our strengths on our home courts," said Cabell.
Santa Clara 4, UC Davis 3
1) No. 26 Katie Le (SCU) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD), 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
2) Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Lauren Curry (UCD), 6-2, 6-4
3) Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU), 6-3, 6-2
4) Ellie Edles (UCD) def. Maggie McGeorge (SCU), 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
5) Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD), 6-1, 7-6(5)
6) Tiffany Pham (UCD) def. Jessica Agra (SCU), 7-6(4), 6-2
1) Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Megan Heneghan/Layla Sanders (UCD), 8-2
2) Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UCD) def. Massie McGeorge/Kelly Lamble (SCU), 8-4
3) Stephanie Skaras/Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) def. Lauren Curry/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD), 8-7(0)
Check back into SantaClaraBroncos.com later in the week for more tennis news and updates on the home matches this weekend.