Santa Clara Women's Tennis Falls at San Diego after Rain Delay
Santa Clara, Calif.—After rainy weather forced the Santa Clara women's tennis team's match to be postponed on Friday afternoon, the Broncos (9-9; 2-3 WCC) resumed play on Saturday morning, finishing the No. 3 singles match. The Santa Clara women fell to the Toreros 4-0.
San Diego (9-8; 5-1 WCC) won three of the singles matches on Fri., Apr. 13 before the weather caused the matches to stop. The coaches and officials decided to finish a fourth singles match on Sat., Apr. 14 at 10:00 a.m. Laura Claus of USD edged out Kelly Lamble in a tough second set, resulting in a 6-0, 7-5 finish. No more matches were played after that.
On the Santa Clara side, No. 41 Katie Le and Stephanie Skaras were unable to finish their singles matches. Le won the first set against Juliette Coupez 7-6, but dropped the second 6-3. The third set was not played. No doubles matches were played either.
The Broncos travel back to the Bay Area immediatly after the match at San Diego. They will play at No. 39 Saint Mary's on Sunday, April 15 at 11:00 a.m. in Moraga, Calif.
Check SantaClaraBroncos.com for Sunday's results.
The No. 39 Gaels enter this weekend after No. 35 Pepperdine ended their seven-game winning streak, beating them 5-2 last week. One of Saint Mary's top players, Jenny Jullien, is currently ranked No. 90 by the ITA. The Gaels are 12-6 this season and 5-1 against WCC opponents.
San Diego 4, Santa Clara 0 (SINGLES)
1. Juliette Coupez (USD) vs. No. 41 Katie Le (SCU) 6-7, 6-3, unfinished
2. Stephanie Hoffpauir (USD) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Laura Claus (USD) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 6-0, 7-5
4. No. 117 Anna Depenau (USD) def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Maja Sujica (USD) def. Jessica Agra (SCU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Marite Raygada (USD) vs. Stephanie Skaras (SCU) 2-6, 6-2, 1-2, unfinished
1. Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) vs. Juliette Coupez/Laura Claus (USD) no result
2. Brittany Warly/Stephanie Skaras (SCU) vs. Maja Sujica/Anna Depenau (USD) no result
3. Kelly Lamble/Kacie Wagner (SCU) vs. Cara Brown/Stephanie Hoffpauir (USD) no result
Order of finish: Singles (4,2,5,3)