No. 66 Women's Tennis Fall at Cal Poly
Santa Clara, Calif.— No. 48 Katie Le gave the Broncos their only victory in the No. 1 singles position on Sunday afternoon as the Cal Poly Mustangs handed No. 66 Santa Clara a tough 6-1 loss. The Broncos resume play when they host the University of Nevada, Reno on Friday, March 16 at 2:00 p.m.
Santa Clara (7-4) got off to a shaky start after dropping all three doubles matches. Cal Poly's Jocelyn Davis and Alexa Lee defeated Jessica Agra and Le by a score of 8-5 at the No. 1 position. At No. 2, Alex Zaniewski and Kacie Wagner came up short, 8-5, against Ane McPike and Kathryn Webb before Cal Poly completed its doubles sweep at No. 3 as Gabrielle Gatewood and Ireen Kuipers topped Kelly Lamble and Nicolette Wolny, 8-1.
The momentum stayed on the Mustangs' (7-6) side in the singles play too. Le extended her winning streak at the No. 1 singles position for the Broncos to six consecutive wins. Le trounced her opponent, Alex Lee, in two sets, 6-4, 6-4.
The rest of the Broncos could not put their singles matches away though. Zaniewski, Lamble, and Wagner all took their opponents to 3 sets, but came up short in the end.
1) No. 48 Katie Le (SCU) def. Alexa Lee (CP) 6-4, 6-4
2) Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Alexandra Zaniewski (SCU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3) Jen Cornea (CP) def. Kelly Lamble 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
4) Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) 6-3, 6-4, 7-5
5) Gabrielle Gatewood (CP) def. Jessica Agra (SCU) 6-2, 7-5
6) Ane McPike (CP) def. Charlotte Newell (SCU) 7-5, 6-1
1) Davis/Lee (CP) def. Le/Agra (SCU) 8-5
2) McPike/Webb (CP) def. Zaniewski/Wagner (SCU) 8-5
3) Gatewood/Kuipers (CP) def. Lamble/Wolny (SCU) 8-1