Santa Clara, Calif.— After a 6-1 win over University of San Francisco on Friday, the No. 51 Santa Clara women's tennis team lost a tight match at Fresno State on Sunday by a score of 4-3. The women now look forward to Sun., Mar. 11 when they travel to San Luis Obispo, Calif. to play at Cal Poly at 11:00 a.
At Fresno State, the double matches proved to be the deciding factor in the 4-3 win for the Bulldogs. The Fresno Bulldogs edged out all three Bronco duos. But the women put up a strong fight in the single matches with the Broncos winning three singles matches and the Bulldogs winning three as well.
In the No. 1 singles position, sophomore Katie Le defeated No. 42 Marianne Jodoin in two sets. Le who is currently ranked No. 48 by the ITA, topped Jodoin 6-4, 7-5.
Despite a trying effort in the singles matches, the Broncos were unable to put the match away.
No. 51 Santa Clara vs. Fresno St. (Singles)
1. No. 48 Katie Le (SCU) d. No. 42 Marianne Jodoin (FS), 6-4, 7-5
2. Kelly Lamble (SCU) d. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS), 6-3, 6-1
3. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) d. Olga Kirpicheva (FS), 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Melissa McQueen (FS) d. Kacie Wagner (SCU), 1-6, 6-1, 7-6(5)
5. Bianca Modoc (FS) d. Jessica Agra (SCU), 6-3, 7-6(2)
6. Tanya Murtagh (FS) d. Brittany Warly (SCU), 6-0, 6-3
1. Jodoin/Murtagh (FS) d. Le/Agra (SCU), 8-6
2. McQueen/Modoc (FS) d. Zaniewski/Wagner (SCU), 8-7(3)
3. Laura Pola/Agrawal (FS) d. Lamble/Wolny (SCU), 8-3