Santa Clara Women's Tennis Falls to No. 8 Cal
Written by Chelsea Flintoft '14
Santa Clara, Calif.—The Santa Clara women's tennis was handed its first regular season loss today from No. 8 California by a score of 6-1. The Broncos are now 0-1 on the 2012 season.
With the return of sunny weather in the Bay Area today, the Broncos were able to finally begin regular season competition. The team was supposed to play against Cal in Berkeley, Calif. on Fri. Jan. 20, but heavy rain caused rescheduling and relocating to take place.
"We had a tough first match today. We knew this was going to be difficult, but we wanted the challenge and our girls played really well," said head coach Ben Cabell. "This will make us better and I am happy with that."
"Maggie had a great win and Katie played great against the defending NCAA Champion," said Cabell. "I am proud of all our girls."
The Broncos now look to travel across town on Fri., Jan. 27 to play San Jose State at 2:00 p.m., and then return to the Mission Campus to host the Oregon Ducks on Sat., Jan. 28 at 11:00 a.m.
SCU vs. Cal Singles Results
(1) Jana Juricova (Cal) def. Katie Le (SCU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-8
(2) Tayler Davis (Cal) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) 6-2, 6-0
(3) Annie Goransson (Cal) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 6-0, 6-1
(4) Anett Schutting (Cal) def. Jessica Agra (SCU) 6-1, 6-1
(5) Alice Duranteau (Cal) Def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) 6-4, 6-3
(6) Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Stephany Chang (Cal) 4-6, 6-3, 10-7
SCU vs. Cal Doubles Results
(1) Estlander/Juricova (Cal) def. Le/Agra (SCU) 8-2
(2) Goransson/Schutting (Cal) def. McGeorge/Lamble (SCU) 8-6
(3) Davis/Duranteau (Cal) def. Wagner/Zaniewski (SCU) 8-5