San Diego, Calif. – The No. 57 Santa Clara women's tennis team finished fourth at the WCC Tournament for the second consecutive year, after a 4-1 loss to St. Mary's College. The Broncos end their 2010-11 campaign 17-6 overall and 6-4 in the WCC.
The Santa Clara squad pushed the Gaels to third sets and tiebreakers, but other than Jessica Agra's victory at the No. 6 singles spots, St. Mary's proved to be too much for the squad.
"It was a tough match today," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "We played St. Mary's closer than we've ever played them before, and we came up a little short but we are happy with the performance."
The Broncos tallied national rankings twice this season (No. 64 and 57), higher than any other standing in the program's history. "We are very proud of our ranking. The girls have earned this and deserve it. The ranking is a true recognition of all their hard work," said Cabell.
SCU vs. SMC 3rd Place Match Singles Results
1. Alexandra Poorta (SMC) def. Katie Le (SCU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Catherine Isip (SMC) leads Kelly Lamble (SCU) 3-6, 6-0, 5-2 (DNF)
3. Anna Chkhikvishvili (SMC) leads Alexandra Zaniewski (SCU) 7-6 (5), 4-3 (DNF)
4. Jenny Jullien (SMC) def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Claire Soper (SMC) def. Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Laurie Gingras (SMC) 7-5, 6-0
SCU vs. SMC 3rd Place Match Doubles Results
1. Laurie Gingras/Catherine Isip (SMC) leads Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) 7-6 (DNF)
2. Alexandra Poorta/Anna Chkhikvishvili (SMC) def. Maggie McGeorge/Kelly Lamble (SCU) 8-4
3. Jenny Jullien/Claire Soper (SMC) def. Alexandra Zaniewski/Kacie Wagner (SCU) 9-7