Moraga, California - The Santa Clara women's tennis team lost today to
the defending WCC champions, St. Mary's, 7-1. The Broncos are 12-4
overall and 3-2 in the WCC.
Last season's Freshman of the Year, SMC's Catherine Isip, continued
her WCC undefeated streak, beating Kelly Lamble in a close match.
SCU's No. 1 Katie Le saw her own unbeaten streak broken by Alex Poorta, but Le and partner, Jessica Agra, did earn their third victory against ranked opponents with a win at the No. 1 doubles position. Alex Zaniewski had a solid victory at the No. 3 singles position, edging out Anna Chkhikvishvili in a tie breaker.
"St. Mary's is a great team," said head coach Ben Cabell. "We competed today, but still have a lot to work on for the next time around."
Santa Clara vs. St Mary's Singles Results
1. #49 Alex Poorta (SMC) def. Katie Le (SCU) 6-3, 7-5
2. #88 Catherine Isip (SMC) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) def. Anna Chkhikvishvili (SMC) 7-6 (7-5), 1-6,
4. Jenny Jullien (SMC) def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Claire Soper (SMC) def. Jessica Agra (SCU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Laurie Gingras (SMC) def. Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
Santa Clara vs. St. Mary's Doubles Results
1. Jessica Agra/Katie Le (SCU) def. #65 Catherine Isip/Laurie Gingras (SMC) 8-3
2. Anna Chkhikvishvili/Alex Poorta (SMC) def. Kelly Lamble/Maggie
McGeorge (SCU) 8-3
3. Jenny Jullien/Claire Soper (SMC) def. Kacie Wagner/Kimmi Cox (SCU) 8-3
The Broncos play at home Tuesday April 5, at 2:00 p.m. vs. San Jose State.
Kelsey Houlihan '11