Women's Tennis Earns Fourth-Place Finish in WCC
SAN DIEGO, Calif.- The Santa Clara women's tennis team wrapped up the West Coast Conference tournament today with a fourth-place finish after losing to San Diego, 4-0. The Broncos entered the tournament with the No. 4 seed, while the Toreros entered with the No.3 seed.
Freshmen duo Maggie McGeorge and Kelly Lamble were the only ones to pick up a win against San Diego, defeating Laura Claus and Justine Perl 8-4 at the No. 3 doubles position. The Broncos were swept in all of their singles matches.
With their fourth-place finish today, Santa Clara has reached their team goal of finishing in the top four teams of the conference. The Broncos earned a big 4-2 win on the first day of the tournament against local rival USF to advance to the next round of the tournament before falling to eventual WCC champion Saint Mary's 4-0 on Saturday.
Last season, the Broncos took seventh place out of eight teams in the WCC tournament. However this season gave the team a fresh start and Santa Clara finished the season with an outstanding 14-7 overall record and a 4-2 record in the WCC.
The last time the Broncos finished as high as fourth place in the WCC was in 2004. Check back later this week with SantaClaraBroncos.com for a full-season recap about the season and an interview with Bronco head coach Ben Cabell.
#3 SAN DIEGO def. #4 SANTA CLARA Doubles
1) Coupez-Sujica, USD def. Zaniewski-Agra, SCU - 8-4
2) Raygada-Demidova, USD def. Wagner-Cox, SCU - 8-3
3) McGeorge-Lamble, SCU def. Perl-Claus, USD - 8-4
#3 SAN DIEGO def. #4 SANTA CLARA Singles
1) Alexandra Zaniewski, SCU vs. Juliette Coupez, USD - suspended
2) Laura Claus, USD def. Kelly Lamble, SCU - 6-1, 6-3
3) Maja Sujica, USD def. Kacie Wagner, SCU - 6-4, 6-1
4) Maggie McGeorge, SCU vs. Lise Marbach, USD - suspended
5) Jessica Agra, SCU vs. Alexandra Demidova, USD - suspended
6) Maria Raygada, USD def. Kimmie Cox, SCU - 6-1, 6-2