Women's Tennis Falls to Saint Mary's 4-0 in WCC Tournament
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Santa Clara women's tennis team was defeated by Saint Mary's 4-0 in the second round of the West Coast Conference tournament today in San Diego. The Broncos will compete tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. for the fourth place finish in the conference against either San Diego or Pepperdine.
Yesterday in the first round of the tournament, No. 4-seeded Santa Clara defeated the No. 5 seed, San Francisco, 4-2 to advance to today's match-up against No. 1 seed Saint Mary's. Although Santa Clara was optimistic about their match-up, the Gaels proved to be too much for the Broncos today and swept all four matches to earn the 4-0 win to advance to the championship match.
Although Santa Clara was swept in all of their matches, Cabell and the team are happy with the outcome of the tournament. "Saint Mary's was the No. 1 seed in the tournament for a reason and they played very tough today," said Cabell. "We're still very happy with how the tournament has turned out so far, especially after defeating USF yesterday."
Tomorrow's match will determine the final standings in the WCC and the Broncos will play either No. 3 seed San Diego or No. 2 seed Pepperdine for a fourth place finish in the WCC. Check back with SantaClaraBroncos.com for updates.
No. 4 Santa Clara vs. No. 1 Saint Mary's Doubles Results
1) Poorta-Soper, SMC def. Zaniewski-Agra, SCU - 8-4 (1)
2) Isip-Chikhikvishvili, SMC vs. Wagner-Cox, SCU - suspended
3) Fisher-Strijbis, SMC def. McGeorge-Lamble, SCU - 8-4 (2)
No. 4 Santa Clara vs. No. 1 Saint Mary's Singles Results
1) Alexandra Poorta, SMC vs. Alexandra Zaniewski, SCU - suspended
2) Catherine Isip, SMC vs. Kelly Lamble, SCU - suspended
3) Anna Chikhikvishvili, SMC def. Kacie Wagner, SCU - 6-3, 6-1 (1)
4) Claire Soper, SMC def. Maggie McGeorge, SCU - 6-0, 6-3 (2)
5) Alisa Spitzer, SMC vs. Jessica Agra, SCU - suspended
6) Molly Aloia, SMC def. Isabelle Hoy, SCU - 6-2, 6-1 (3)