April 23, 2010
SAN DIEGO, Calif.- The Santa Clara women's team defeated local rival San Francisco today in the first round of the West Coast Conference tournament in San Diego. The Broncos entered the tournament with the No. 4 seed and overcame the No. 5-seeded Dons to pull off a 4-2 win.
"We're really excited about today's win," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "We knew it was going to be a close match but the girls played fantastic today and it's a great feeling to have that win on the first day."
Santa Clara came out strong in doubles, with freshmen duo Alex Zaniewski and Jessica Agra pulling off a big win at the No. 1 spot, defeating USF's Jennifer-Lee Heinser and Melinda Akerbrant. Heinser and Akerbrant have defeated the Broncos in their last two matches against USF. After dropping the second doubles match, fellow freshmen duo Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge rebounded to win the third singles match and the doubles point.
The Broncos continued their momentum with wins at the No. 2, 3, and 4 singles positions to clinch the 4-2 win. Sophomore captain Kacie Wagner defeated USF's Cecilia Gratian 6-3, 6-3, to clinch the win for Santa Clara at the No. 3 position. The victory was sweet revenge for Wagner, who lost to Gratian just one week ago on Apr. 18.
"Having Alex and Jessica pull off that doubles win was huge for us today," said Cabell. "Kacie also had a great match and really kept her composure today to clinch the match for us."
The Broncos will face No.1 seed Saint Mary's tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. During the regular season, the Gaels swept past to earn a 7-0 win on Feb. 28.
"We know what to expect with Saint Mary's since we played them earlier this season," said Cabell. "We want to go out there with the same level of confidence that we had today and see what we can do."
No. 4 seed SCU vs. No. 5 seed USF Doubles Results (1st round of WCC Tournament):
1) Zaniewski-Agra, SCU def. Heinser-Akerbrant, USF - 8-2
2) Wartenburger-Gratian, USF def. Wagner-Cox, SCU - 8-6
3) McGeorge-Lamble, SCU def. McMahon-Hashiguchi, USF - 8-
No. 4 seed SCU vs. No. 5 seed USF Singles Results (1st round of WCC Tournament):
1) Jennifer Heinser, USF def. Alexandra Zaniewski, SCU - 6-2, 6-2
2) Kelly Lamble, SCU def. Julia Wartenburger, USF - 6-3, 6-1
3) Kacie Wagner, SCU def. Cecilia Gratian, USF - 6-3, 6-3
4) Maggie McGeorge, SCU def. Melinda Akerbrant, USF - 6-1, 6-
5) Jessica Agra, SCU vs. Yurie Hashiguchi, USF - suspended
6) Alana McMahon, USF def. Carmen Pham, SCU - 6-1, 6-2