Santa Clara Women's Tennis Swept By No. 10 Stanford
April 15, 2010
SANTA CLARA, Calif.- The Santa Clara women's tennis team was swept clean by No. 10 Stanford today in Palo Alto in a 7-0 loss. The Broncos move to 13-6 on the season and have a 3-2 record in the West Coast Conference.
Although Santa Clara fell in the first and third doubles matches to lose the double point, freshmen duo Alex Zaniewski and Jessica Agra were able to pull off an upset at the No. 2 doubles position. They defeated No. 46-ranked Lindsay Burdette and Stacey Tan, 8-2.
The Broncos will travel to Stockton to play Pacific this Saturday before finishing their regular season at home on Sunday, Apr. 18 against San Francisco. "Pacific will be a tough team, we haven't beaten them in a few years," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "It's good practice for us to play tough teams before the WCC tournament. The USF match will determine the WCC tournament seeding and it should be a very close match."
Check back with SantaClaraBroncos.com for updates throughout the weekend.
Santa Clara vs. Stanford Doubles Results
1) No. 2 Barte/L. Burdette (STAN) d. Cox/Wagner (SC) 8-4
2) Agra/Zaniewski (SC) d. No. 46 M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) 8-2
3) McVeigh/Li (STAN) d. Lamble/McGeorge (SC) 8-6
Santa Clara vs. Stanford Singles Results
1) No. 4 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. Kelly Lamble (SC) 6-3, 6-4
2) No. 68 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Alex Zaniewski (SC) 6-2, 6-1
3) No. 39 Mallory Burdette (STAN) d. Kacie Wagner (SC) 6-3, 6-3
4) No. 73 Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Maggie McGeorge (SC) 6-4, 6-2
5) No. 120 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Jessica Agra (SC) 6-1, 6-2
6) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Kimmi Cox (SC) 6-0, 6-1