March 12, 2010
SANTA CLARA, Calif.- The Santa Clara women's tennis team defeated Michigan State 6-1 yesterday at Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos have now improved to 8-3 on the season and have a 2-2 record in the West Coast Conference.
After junior Carmen Pham and freshman Alex Zaniewski fell to the Spartans in the second doubles match, freshmen duo Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge rallied back in the No. 3 doubles position to secure the doubles point for the Broncos, defeating Christine Miliken and Nicole Herzog, 8-6.
Despite Lamble's close loss to Silesova at the No. 1 singles position (4-6, 7-6 (10) 10-6), Santa Clara played well down the line to secure the overall win, 6-1.
"It always feels really good to beat a team from a much larger conference," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "We played particularly well in doubles and we felt really good about our performance.
On Sunday, Mar. 14, the Broncos will face off against Northern Iowa. The Panthers are 7-3 on the season after their recent 4-3 win against Wisconsin-Green Bay on Mar. 7.
"What we're looking for against Northern Iowa is for the team to keep their focus and energy up, which is hard since it's finals week," said Cabell. "Northern Iowa is a good team, but we're confident that if we continue to play like we have been lately, then we should do fine."
First serve is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. at Degheri Tennis Center. Check back with SantaClaraBroncos.com for updates.
Santa Clara vs. Michigan State Doubles Results:
1) Kacie Wagner/Kimmi Cox (SCU) def. Ivanova/Silesova (MSU) 8-5
2) Barton/Wilson (MSU) def. Alex Zaniewski/Carmen Pham (SCU) 8-2
3) Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Miliken/Herzog (MSU) 8-6
Santa Clara vs. Michigan State Singles Results:
1) Silesova (MSU) def. Lamble (SCU) 4-6, 7-6 (10), 10-6
2) Zaniewski (SCU) def. Herzog (MSU) 3-6, 6-4, 10-8
3) Wagner (SCU) def. Wilson (MSU) 7-6 (4), 6-4
4) McGeorge (SCU) def. Barton (MSU) 6-4, 6-2
5) Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Ivanova (MSU) 6-0, 6-3
6) Pham (SCU) def. Miliken (MSU) 6-1, 6-2