March 9, 2010
SANTA CLARA, Calif.: The Santa Clara women's tennis team battled through the windy conditions to defeat Gonzaga 6-1 today at Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos improve to 7-3 on the season and 3-2 in West Coast Conference play.
Santa Clara mixed up their doubles pairings today, with sophomore duo Kacie Wagner and Kimmi Cox playing together at the No. 1 doubles position since January. Wagner and Cox were unable to pull off a win at the No. 1 position, but freshman Alex Zaniewski and junior Carmen Pham rebounded with a close win against Gonzaga's Kristina Zauere and Clare Dodge, 9-8 (4). Freshmen duo Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge brought in the doubles point for the Broncos with their win over Jackie Tabb and Sophie Lantta, 8-6, at the No. 3 doubles position.
Santa Clara dominated the line in the first five singles matches to earn the 6-1 win.
"Today was a good win today, we're very excited that we have above a .500 record in WCC play," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "It was a tough day with the weather conditions, but our girls played strong to earn the win."
Santa Clara hopes to add another W this Thursday when they compete against Michigan State. The Spartans are 5-6 this season after today's loss against Cal Poly, 6-1.
The Broncos will take on Michigan State this Thursday, Mar. 11 at Degheri Tennis Center. First serve is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
Santa Clara vs. Gonzaga Doubles Results
1) Rika Mehndiratta/Danielle Farmer (GON) def. Kacie Wagner/Kimmi Cox (SCU) 8-5
2) Alex Zaniewski/Carmen Pham (SCU) def. Kristina Zauere/Clare Dodge (GON) 9-8 (4)
3) Maggie McGeorge/Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Jackie Tabb/Sophie Lantta (GON) 8-6
Santa Clara vs. Gonzaga Singles Results
1) Alex Zaniewski (SCU) def. Mehndiratta (GON) 6-4, 6-1
2) Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Zauere (GON) 6-3, 6-2
3) Kacie Wagner (SCU) def. Prue Teitzel (GON) 6-4, 6-4
4) Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Farmer (GON) 6-4, 6-0
5) Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Lantta (GON) 7-5, 1-6, 10-4
6) Clare Dodge (GON) def. Carmen Pham (SCU) 6-3, 4-6 (16-14)