Bronco Women's Tennis Breezes Past Montana
Feb. 21, 2010
SANTA CLARA, Calif.- The Santa Clara women's tennis team finished their road trip with another win today, defeating Montana 7-0 in Portland. The Broncos are now 5-1 on the season and 2-1 in West Coast Conference play after yesterday's win against Portland, 5-2.
Santa Clara continued to dominate in doubles play, with freshmen duo Alex Zaniewski and Jessica Agra defeating Montana's Amanda Bran and Lauren Gibson 8-5 at the No. 1 spot. Sophomore Kimmi Cox and junior Carmen Pham sealed the doubles point for the Broncos, defeating Kayla Moyse and Constance Alexander 8-6 at the No. 2 doubles position.
So far, the Broncos have not lost the doubles point this season in match play.
In singles, Santa Clara shut down the Grizzlies to secure the 7-0 win. Zaniewski continued her singles winning streak, defeating Alexander in the tie-breaker, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3.
"I'm very proud of how well we did on the road this weekend," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "We played really well down the line and it's great to have two wins on the road now. We took a really big step forward today."
Santa Clara's next match will be played at home at Degheri Center against Hawai'I on February 26. First serve is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
Santa Clara vs. Montana Doubles Results
1. Jessica Agra/Alex Zaniewski (SCU) def. Amanda Bran/Lauren Gibson (UM) 8-3
2. Kimmi Cox/Carmen Pham (SCU) def. Kayla Moyse/Constance Alexander (UM) 8-6
3. Cara Lehman/Heather Davidson (UM) def. Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 8-7 (10-4)
Santa Clara vs. Montana Singles Results
1. Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Amanda Brann (UM) 6-2, 6-4
2. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) def. Constance Akexander (UM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
3. Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Heather Davidson (UM) 7-5, 6-3
4. Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Lauren Gibson (UM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Carmen Pham (SCU) def. Kayla Moyse (UM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Kimmi Cox (SCU) def. Cara Lehman (UM) 6-4, 6-2