Bronco Women's Tennis Sweeps Past Pilots 5-2
Feb. 20, 2010
SANTA CLARA, Calif.- The Santa Clara women's tennis team improved their winning streak to three games with today's win against the Portland Pilots, 5-2. The Broncos are 4-1 on the season and 2-1 in West Coast Conference play.
Santa Clara arrived in Oregon fired up to win, defeating Portland in every doubles match and earned the doubles point. In singles, freshman Alex Zaniewski continued her singles winning streak, defeating Lacey Pflibsen 6-1, 6-3, at the No. 1 position to earn her fifth straight win of the season.
"Today's win was really a team effort," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "We've gone back and forth with Portland in the last couple of years so today's win was a huge confidence boost. It's always hard to play on the road, but we had a lot of confidence and that helped us play well."
With today's win, Cabell is optimistic about tomorrow's match against Montana. "They're a tough team, so we're looking forward to seeing what we can do against them and end this road trip on a strong note."
The first serve against Montana will start at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow. Check back here for updates.
Santa Clara vs. Portland Doubles Results
1) Alex Zaniewski/Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Sporndli/Fuchs (UP) 8-5
2) Carmen Pham/Kimmi Cox (SCU) def. Hoath/Doolittle (UP) 8-1
3) Maggie McGeorge/Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Pfibsen/Mini (UP) 8-6
Santa Clara vs. Portland Singles Results
1) Alex Zaniewski (SCU) def. Pfibsen (UP) 6-1, 6-3
2) Sporndli (UP) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 6-0, 6-3
3) Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Doolittle (UP) 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
4) Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Hoath (UP) 6-1, 6-2
5) Fuchs (UP) def. Carmen Pham (SCU) 7-5, 2-6, 11-9
6) Isabelle Hoy (SCU) def. Mini (UP) 6-4, 0-6, 10-6