Women's Tennis Wins Big Against UCSB
Feb. 14, 2010
SANTA CLARA, Calif.- The Santa Clara women's tennis team earned another major win today against UC Santa Barbara, 4-3, at Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos improve to 3-1 for the season and 1-1 in the WCC.
Today's win was a great improvement from last season's meeting, when Santa Clara was shut out by the Gauchos, 7-0 on March 29, 2009. In today's match though, the Broncos came out strong in both doubles and singles play to pull off the close win.
In doubles, freshmen Alex Zaniewski and Jessica Agra knocked off Jordan Dockendork and Natalia Lozano 8-5 in the first doubles match. UCSB bounced back to earn the second doubles match, but freshmen Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge rallied against Tova Hausman and Sofia Novak to win the third match 8-3, giving the Broncos the doubles point.
In addition to the doubles point, Santa Clara was able to knock off the first three singles duals to earn the win. Zaniewski defeated Novak 6-3, 5-7, 6-4 at the No. 1 singles position, while Lamble beat Lozano 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 at the No. 2 position. McGeorge earned the final win for the Broncos, defeating Asagi Onaga 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 3 doubles position.
"We're very happy with today's win," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "We played tough against a very good team. We still have a lot of room for improvement, but I'm very happy with the way that everyone played."
1) Alex Zaniewski/Jessica Agra (SCU) defeated Jordan Dockendorf/Natalia Lozano (UCSB) 8-5
2) Bryanna Ojeda/Asagi Onaga (UCSB) defeated Carmen Pham/Kimmi Cox (SCU) 8-5
3) Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) defeated Tova Hausman/Sofia Novak (UCSB) 8-3
1) Alex Zaniewski (SCU) defeated Sofia Novak (UCSB) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
2) Kelly Lamble (SCU) defeated Natalia Lozano (UCSB) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
3) Maggie McGeorge (SCU) defeated Asagi Onaga (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
4) Annabel Gledden (UCSB) defeated Jessica Agra (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
5) Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) defeated Carmen Pham (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
6) Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) defeated Kimmi Cox (SCU) 6-0, 6-3