March 28, 2009
SANTA BARBARA, Calif.- The Broncos faced their second loss on the road against the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos, 7-0. The Broncos will end their spring road trip 1-2, and a 7-8 overall record for the season.
The Gauchos started the day on a hot winning streak, decisively winning the first two dual matches. Seniors Stephanie Galainena and Myra Davoudi fell to Michelle Murphy and Sofia Novak, 8-1, while freshmen Kacie Wagner and Kimmi Cox fell to Jill Damion and Natalia Lozano, 8-4.
In singles play, the Gauchos kept their momentum going against the Broncos to take all of the singles matches. At the No. 1 singles position, Galainena was able to hold off UCSB's Murphy 5-0 until Murphy took the win, 6-4, 6-4.
"We played better than yesterday but UCSB was a very tough team to compete against," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "We need to regroup and get back to our full strength as a team. We were able to work some new people in the lineup and those experiences will help us move forward."
The Broncos will return to Degheri Center this Saturday, April 4th, against WCC opponent Gonzaga. First serve is scheduled for 11:00 a.m.
1) Michelle Murphy/ Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Stephanie Galainena/ Myra Davoudi, 8-1
2) Jill Damion/Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Kacie Wagner/ Kimmi Cox, 8-4
3) Bryanna Ojeda/Asagi Onaga (UCSB) def. Kelly Buckley/ Carmen Pham, 8-7
1) Michelle Murphy (UCSB) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
2) Jill Damion (UCSB) def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
3) Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Myra Davoudi (SCU) 6-2, 6-3
4) Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Carmen Pham (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
5) Asagi Onaga (UCSB) def. Kelly Buckley (SCU) 6-0, 6-1
6) Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Kimmi Cox (SCU) 6-2, 6-7, 1-0 (3)