March 15, 2009
SANTA CLARA, Calif.- The Bronco women's tennis team earned their fifth consecutive win of the season with a decisive victory over Northern Colorado, 6-1 at Degheri Center. The Broncos improve to 6-5 this season.
The Broncos started off the day with strong doubles performances. Senior Stephanie Galainena and sophomore Ashley Pane lead the way for the Broncos with an 8-4 win over Manuela Santos and Tabatha Knop.
Senior Myra Davoudi and sophomore Carmen Pham fell to Northern Colorado in the second doubles match to tie the score with one win each, but the Broncos persevered in the third match to take the doubles point with freshmen Kacie Wagner and Kimmi Cox's win over Jill Kappel and Jennifer Whateley, 9-7.
Wagner and Cox's victory extends their winning streak to six consecutive wins at doubles play.
In singles play, Pane improved to a five-match winning streak, defeating Northern Colorado's Jodi Ciarvella, 6-0, 6-2 at the No. 4 position. Freshman Wagner suffered the only singles loss for the day, falling to Santos, 4-6, 6-4, 10-4, while the rest of the Broncos dominated down the line to send Northern Colorado packing.
"It's a great sign for the future that we are winning matches so convincingly," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "We had a great comeback in doubles play to earn the doubles point, and the whole team effort really came through today."
1) Stephanie Galainena / Ashley Pane (SCU) def. Manuela Santos/ Tabatha Knop (NC) 8-4
2) Tiffany Knop/ Jodi Ciarvella (NC) def. Myra Davoudi / Carmen Pham (SCU) 8-2
3) Kacie Wagner / Kimmi Cox (SCU) def. Jill Kappel / Jennifer Whateley (NC) 9-7
1) Stephanie Galainena (SCU) def. Tabatha Knop (NC) 6-1 6-4
2) Manuela Santos (NC) def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-4
3) Carmen Pham (SCU) def. Tiffany Knop (NC) 6-2, 6-1
4) Myra Davoudi (SCU) def. Jill Kappel (NC) 6-1, 7-5
5) Ashley Pane (SCU) def. Jodi Ciarvella (NC) 6-0, 6-2
6) Courtney Hull (SCU) def. Luiza Xavier (NC) 7-6 (4), 3-6, 10-8