Jan. 30, 2009
The UC Davis women's tennis team defeated Santa Clara, 5-2, in its home opener Friday afternoon at the Marya Welch Tennis Center. Randi Schuler, Desiree Stone and Dahra Zamudio each won twice for the Aggies. The win improves UC Davis to 3-3 on the year while Santa Clara fell to 1-2.
The doubles point wasn't decided until the final game as the teams split the first two matches to finish. At No. 1, Schuler and Stone were the first off with an 8-5 victory over Santa Clara's Stephanie Galainena and Ashley Paine. SCU's Carmen Pham and Kacie Wagner then defeated Sidney Brady and Jenna Kappel, 8-6, at No. 3.
At the same time, Herzyl Legaspi and Zamudio were busy coming from behind at No. 2. The Aggie duo trailed 6-5 but won the final three games to claim an 8-6 win over Santa Clara's Myra Davoudi and Courtney Hull. The win clinched the doubles point and gave UC Davis a 1-0 lead heading to singles.
The first three singles matches to finish were all Aggie wins. At No. 3, Zamudio cruised past Wagner, 6-0, 6-0, to give UC Davis a 2-0 lead. Less than five minutes later, Schuler closed out a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Davoudi at No. 1 pushing the lead to 3-0. The Aggies clinched the win at No. 2 where Stone defeated Galainena, 6-3, 6-2. O
Head coach Ben Cabell was proud of the team's effort during the hard-fought match. "We fought hard out there today, especially in our doubles matches. It was a close loss for the doubles point but we're looking forward to coming home for our next two matches."
The Broncos will take on Sonoma State next Friday, February 6 and Pacific on Saturday, February 7th at Degheri Center.
1. Randi Schuler (UCD) d. Myra Davoudi (SCU), 6-2, 6-1.
2. Desiree Stone (UCD) d. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 6-3, 6-2.
3. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) d. Kacie Wagner (SCU), 6-0, 6-0.
4. Carmen Pham (SCU) d. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD), 6-4, 1-6, 6-4.
5. Ashley Paine (SCU) d. Jenna Kappel (UCD), 7-5, 6-2.
6. Jessica Harris (UCD) d. Courtney Hull (SCU), 6-3, 6-4.
1. Schuler/Stone (UCD) d. Galainena/Paine (SCU), 8-5.
2. Legaspi/Zamudio (UCD) d. Davoudi/Hull (SCU), 8-6.
3. Pham/Wagner (SCU) d. Sidney Brady /Kappel (UCD), 8-6.