March 27, 2008
PORTLAND, Ore. - Despite earning the doubles point and two hard-fought wins in singles play, the Santa Clara women's tennis team was edged by the Portland Pilots, 4-3, Thursday in West Coast Conference action.
"We always prefer the win," said head coach Ben Cabell. "But I'm truly happy with the way they competed today. They fought very hard. Lindsay [McBride] came back after losing the first set to win her match and Carmen Pham played a good game against one of their better players. We will come home and make some adjustments and we hope to see them in the WCC Tournament and earn the win."
The Broncos earned the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots. Stephanie Galainena and Ashley Pane teamed up to fight through an 8-6 decision over Megan Sporndli and Lindsey Griffin at first doubles. It was their third win as a pair. At No. 2 doubles, Lindsay McBride and Myra Davoudi stormed back Jenna Tanzer and Stefanie Doolitte, 8-0.
Moving into singles play, Santa Clara had a 1-0 lead but Portland recorded four singles wins to register their fifth straight win. The Broncos final two points came in the middle of the lineup as McBride and Pham posted their second straight victories. At the No. 3 spot, McBride faced a hard-fought 3-6 first set loss to Christina Feyen. However, she rallied back tie the match at one game each with a 6-3 second set win. McBride finished her match with another 6-3 third set triumph. Meanwhile at No. 4 singles, Pham produced a (6-3, 7-5) decision over Tanzer.
The Broncos remain on the road and return to action on April 4 against the Bulldogs of Gonzaga. First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Portland 4, Santa Clara 3
1. Galainena/Pane (SCU) def. Sporndli/Griffin (POR), 8-6
2. McBride/Davoudi (SCU) def. Tanzer/Doolittle (POR), 8-0
3. Gullickson/Jenks (POR) def. Pham/Hull (SCU), 8-4
1. Megan Sporndli (POR) def. Myra Davoudi (SCU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Lindsey Griffin (POR) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Lindsay McBride (SCU) def. Christina Feyen (POR), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Carmen Pham (SCU) def. Jenna Tanzer (POR), 6-3, 7-5
5. Anna Gullickson (POR) def. Ashley Pane (SCU), 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Stefanie Doolittle (POR) def. Courtney Hull (SCU), 6-2, 6-2