Women's Tennis Loses to No. 42 Arizona
Jan. 22, 2008
TUCSON, Ariz - The Santa Clara women's tennis team fell in their second match of the season against No. 42 Arizona in a 7-0 defeat on Tuesday. The Broncos fought hard against the Wildcats, but lost in straight sets in singles matches and could not get a win in doubles.
In singles, Stephanie Galainena had a tough match at No. 1 against Danielle Steinberg, who was No. 46 in the most recent ITA rankings. Despite her efforts, Galainena fell 6-1, 6-0. The rest of the singles matches proved to be difficult as the Broncos were unable to pull out a victory.
In doubles action, Galainena and Ashley Pane were defeated by Steinberg and Claire Rietsch, in a difficult 8-3 match. Samantha Georgino returned to the courts after over a year, having undergone and recovered from elbow surgery. Georgino and Carmen Pham paired up against Natalia Toporowska and Katie Orletsky falling 8-4.
Head Coach Ben Cabell, on match: "We knew going into it that this was going to be a very tough match because Arizona is a top ranked school. We played very well and had chances to win all down the line. We've got a lot to build on."
Cabell, on season so far: "We have a very difficult beginning of the season, but it is going to toughen us up for the rest of the season, especially when we start to play conference matches."
No. 42 Arizona 7, Santa Clara 0
1. UA Danielle Steinberg def. SCU Stephanie Galainena 6-1, 6-0
2. UA Claire Rietsch def. Myra Davoudi 6-4, 6-2
3. UA Natalia Toporowska def. Lindsay McBride 6-4, 6-3
4. UA Claire Huh def. Carmen Pham 6-1, 6-3
5. UA Ariane Masschelein def. Ashley Pane 7-5, 6-3
6. UA Katie Orletsky def. Courtney Hull 6-4, 6-0
1. UA Steinberg/Rietsch def. SCU Galainena/Pane 8-3
2. UA Toporowska/Orletsky def. SCU Samantha Georgino /Pham 8-4
3. UA Huh/Masschelein def. SCU McBride/Davoudi 8-4