April 20, 2007
MALIBU, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team lost its opening match of the West Coast Conference Championships to Saint Mary's 4-0 on Friday afternoon. After being delayed by rain, the teams played the singles matches first. The Broncos were swept in straight sets from Nos. 2-5, while Casey Knutson and Erika Barnes each grabbed a set in their matches before Saint Mary's clinched.
The Gaels opened the day with a victory at No. 4 with Marah Calvo defeating Kim Daniel 6-0, 6-0. Femke Strijbis then beat Myra Davoudi, who is still recovering for a shoulder injury, 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3. The Gaels clinched the match with wins by Jessica Hoath over Stephanie Galainena and Erin Young over Lindsay McBride.
At No. 1, Knutson took a set from Aude Lambert before their match was abandoned once the Gaels clinched. Barnes also won a set in her match at No. 6.
The Broncos will now play the loser of the Loyola Marymount-Portland match, which could not be completed due to the rain, in the consolation semifinals.
No. 2 Saint Mary's def. No. 7 Santa Clara 4-0
1. Aude Lambert (SMC) vs. Casey Knutson (SCU), DNF
2. Jessica Hoath (SMC) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Femke Strijbis (SMC) def. Myra Davoudi (SCU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Marah Calvo (SMC) def. Kim Daniel (SCU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Erin Young (SMC) def. Lindsay McBride (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Stef Ordoveza (SMC) vs. Erika Barnes (SCU), DNF