Bronco Women's Tennis Sweeps UC Santa Cruz 7-0
April 10, 2007
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara women's tennis team broke out of its slump with a convincing 7-0 sweep of the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs on Tuesday afternoon at the Degheri Tennis Center. SCU swept all the doubles matches and then captured six straight-set singles matches for the victory.
The day started well for the Broncos in doubles with victories by Erika Barnes and Casey Knutson, Stephanie Galainena and Lindsay McBride and Kim Daniel and Meghan Madden. The win at No. 1 by Barnes and Knutson was their 10th in dual matches and 13th overall this season. By winning all three matches, the Broncos surpassed last season's dual match doubles victory total of 20. SCU now has 21 dual match wins in doubles play this season.
Knutson again played an excellent singles match to get the day started for the Broncos at No. 1 singles. She defeated Jessica Ruth without losing a game to win her team-leading 14th match of the year. Daniel followed Knutson off the court with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Megan Sweeney on court 3.
McBride clinched the match for SCU with a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 4 against Marjorie Youn. Soon after McBride's win, Galainena and Barnes wrapped up their matches at No. 2 and No. 5 respectively.
On court No. 6, Madden was engaged in a tight match with Kyla Rowe. Madden won the first set 6-4, but the second set proved more difficult to close out. Madden led 5-4 and was serving for the match, but Rowe broke her serve to tie the match. After trading breaks, Madden and Rowe went to a tiebreaker to decide the second set. Madden fell behind early, but she came back to get control of the tiebreaker and win 7-4 to capture the match 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).
Santa Clara improved to 6-10 with the win and now hits the road for two matches. The Broncos play No. 12 Fresno State on Friday, April 13 at 1:30 p.m. before taking on Cal Poly on Saturday, April 14 at 12 noon.
Santa Clara def. UC Santa Cruz 7-0
1. Erika Barnes/Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Megan Sweeney/Jessica Ruth 8-3
2. Stephanie Galainena/Lindsay McBride (SCU) def. Chayla Furlong/Kyla Rowe (UCSC) 8-5
3. Kim Daniel/Meghan Madden (SCU) def. Emily Cook/Lauren Tisdale (UCSC) 8-4
Singles: (Order of finish 1, 3, 4, 2, 5, 6)
1. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Jessica Ruth (UCSC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Stephanie Galainena (SCU) def. Angelizen Zabala (UCSC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Kim Daniel (SCU) def. Megan Sweeney (UCSC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Lindsay McBride (SCU) def. Marjorie Youn (UCSC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Chayla Furlong (UCSC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Meghan Madden (SCU) def. Kyla Rowe (UCSC) 6-4, 7-6 (4)