April 7, 2007
DALLAS, Texas - The Santa Clara women's tennis team fell to the No. 56 Southern Methodist University Mustangs 6-0 on Saturday. The teams started with the singles matches due to inclement weather and the Mustangs swept all six matches in straight sets to claim the victory. It was the third match in three days for the Broncos, who are now 5-10 on the season.
With Myra Davoudi out for SCU, the Broncos had to shuffle around the singles lineup. Casey Knutson remained at No. 1, but Kim Daniel moved into the second position, while Stephanie Galainena moved up to No. 3. Lindsay McBride played in the fourth slot, followed by Erika Barnes and Meghan Madden.
The Mustangs grabbed control of the match early, winning the first set of five of the matches by 6-0 scores and the sixth 6-1. The Broncos could not recover despite some hard-fought second sets. Knutson, Galainena and Barnes all put the pressure on the second set, but could not come back.
Santa Clara returns to the courts on Tuesday, April 10 to take on UC Santa Cruz at 2:00 p.m. PT at the Degheri Tennis Center.
#56 Southern Methodist def. Santa Clara 6-0
1. Natalia Bubien (SMU) def. Casey Knutson (SCU) 6-0, 6-4
2. Jennifer Chay (SMU) def. Kim Daniel (SCU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Claire Rietsch (SMU) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Pavi Francis (SMU) def. Lindsay McBride (SCU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Kristen Reid (SMU) def. Erika Barnes (SCU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Georgiana Marta (SMU) def. Meghan Madden (SCU) 6-1, 6-0