Broncos Lose Close Match To Texas-Arlington 4-3
April 6, 2007
ARLINGTON, Texas - The Bronco women's tennis team fell 4-3 in a tight match to the University of Texas-Arlington on Friday afternoon. SCU fell behind 1-0 after losing the doubles point, but nearly came back by winning three singles matches before falling to UTA. Casey Knutson, Stephanie Galainena and Erika Barnes all earned wins for SCU.
The Mavs of Texas-Arlington got off to a good start against SCU with wins in all three doubles matches to get out to 1-0 lead. Galainena and Lindsay McBride nearly earned a win at No. 2 doubles, but they fell 8-6 in their first match together this season.
In singles, Knutson came back after losing the first set to win the next two sets, 6-4, 6-4 to earn a victory at No. 1. Galainena won a straight sets match at No. 5, 6-3, 6-3, over Marissa Brown to give SCU two points. The Broncos final win came at No. 6 with Barnes winning a three-setter over Sara Pesic, 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-7).
The Mavs captured the other three singles matches to pull out the 4-3 win. Myra Davoudi was forced to retire in the second set against Daniela Novakova, while Kim Daniel fell at No. 3 to Simri van Rooven. At No. 4, McBride dropped a 6-3, 6-2 decision to Sofia Livanova.
Santa Clara is now 5-9 on the season.
Texas-Arlington def. Santa Clara 4-3
1. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Monika Peciulionyte 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Daniela Novakova (UTA) def. Myra Davoudi (SCU) 7-6, 5-3, ret.
3. Simri van Roosen (UTA) def. Kim Daniel (SCU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Sofia Livanova (UTA) def. Lindsay McBride (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Stephanie Galainena (SCU) def. Marissa Brown (UTA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Sara Pesic (UTA) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Monika Peciulionyte/Simri van Roosen (UTA) def. Erika Barnes/Casey Knutson (SCU) 8-4
2. Daniela Novakova/Sara Pesic (UTA) def. Stephanie Galainena/Lindsay McBride (SCU) 8-6
3. Marissa Brown/Sophia Lifanova (UTA) def. Kim Daniel/Myra Davoudi(SCU) 8-4